renaissance cyclist

Replacing the Mibro?

Pricepoint stopped selling the IRC Mibro 2.25, which had been my go-to front tire for lose/dry conditions because of the good combination of, low price, light weight, low rolling resistance and relatively good cornering in lose sand/gravel. Now that I canít seem to find Mibros anywhere, Iím searching for the next best thing.

Iím primarily a road racer who enjoys 20-30 miles of recreational trail riding every week, and I also enter in the occasional long distance or 24-hour event. When I race, I like use the same tires I normally ride on because I donít like to change the way my bike handles on race day. As such, I do appreciate a lighter tire that wonít slow my roll, but not so much that I need a fragile race-only kind of tire and because mountain biking is not my primary shtick, Iím a bit stingy when it comes to what I spend Consumable parts like Tires that I know have a limited lifespan. I really think the extra volume for an XC tire is part of what made the Mibro great, so I think 2.25-2.3-ish would be Ideal.

I keep wanting grab a speed king 2.3s because they are available for cheap, theyíre light and about the right size, but Iíve tried the 2.1 and didnít find the traction to be good enough is lose stuff. Is the 2.3 a lot better? Other than the fact that they cost about twice what the Mibro did, the WTB Bronson seems to fit the bill. The Mibros wore out fairly quickly, so I can justify spending more on a tire if it is going to last significantly longer. Iíve also pondered the Pan Rampage, as they arenít too pricy, but I think the 2.35 inch width is over-kill. Iím also looking at these: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...8_20000_400238 Most of what Iíve read has been favorable, but they do appear to be heavy and slow compared to what Iím used to.

Are the there any other former Mibro lovers out there who have found an acceptable substitute?

mtbr member
    I too loved the Mibro. They wore VERY fast but at $15 a piece it wasn't a big deal. I thought their grip on wet roots and rocks was pretty good. They cornered good as well.

I'm currently running a Rampage SC on the front and I have to say I'm impressed. It's a big tire, but not very tall. Rolls fast and hooks up well on the corners. The SC rubber compound is the softer rubber for wet stuff, so it will wear faster. I would say I have about 150 miles on it and don't see any significant wear.

No good in rock gardens..
    Mibro's run small. The 2.25 is comparable to a 2.1 in a Kenda or the newer Maxxis tyres. The Maxxis Crossmark would be worth a look. Or the Rendez up front, with a Crossmark or Monorail in the rear. They are all high volume 2.1's and are fast rolling tyres that can handle moderately loose and rough trail riding.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    I don't remember the mibros being particularly small. I never put a caliper on them but they were bigger than any 2.1 I have had. I would say they are close to the width of the NN 2.25, but smaller volume. Don't Nevs run very big?

No good in rock gardens..
    Yeah, Nevegal 2.1's are at least as wide as the stated size. My 2.1 Mibro's were only about 1.95 at the edge of the tread blocks. Casing was 1.8" IIRC. They were pretty much the same size as the 2.1 High Rollers I also had - another small 2.1.

Good tyres all the same, I ran mine both tubed and Ghetto tubeless. If I could find some 2.25's I'd grab them.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....