mtbr member
    May 2008

Replacement for Spesh Purgatory Control 2.2

Like the title says, I'm looking to replace the Spesh Purgatory Control 2.2 that came stock on my '12 SJ FSR Elite (1mo old).

This tire was used on the front of my Stumpy & during my last ride the sidewall was cut. The hole is very small, actually, there are two holes...but I can not get them to seal no matter what I do. It'll hold up to 45psi but if I air it past that Stan's blasts everywhere.

After doing some reading, I've found that Spesh wheels have a known issue with weak sidewalls. &...you can't really score any good deals on them since you can only purchase them from Spesh dealers or from Spesh themselves.

The Purgatorys would washout quickly on single track & DH rides but were fine on the fire roads I normally climb. I'm looking for a suitable replacement for this tire but there are so many different tires out there I feel overwhelmed. I ride in SoCal, from the fire roads of Camp Pendleton to the fast Aliso Woods single track in OC to the cacti infested trails of Palm Canyon in Palm Springs. The areas are mostly dirt single track with a lot of granit rocks thrown in. I also occasionally get out to Az every few months to ride the Prescott area.

Save Jesus
    Join me in my search for a front tire here:
    What's a good front tire that doesn't wash out?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Join me in my search for a front tire here:
    What's a good front tire that doesn't wash out?
    Thanks for the link & sorry for a redundant post.

My question is mute now as I found all of the holes & was able to plug them. I'll keep using this tire until the tread wears out.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I like the Purg as a back tire, but not a front. It did wash out, but predictably and broke loose slowly if that makes sense.

I'm not sure how well it rolls, but it does well on wet to dry terrain on the rear for me. It was $50 and came in at 666 grams.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I like the specialized captain 2.2 control or you could get the armadillo version with heavier side walls. FYI, specialized has a 90 day no questions asked warranty on tires. I just got a new ground control after tearing a side wall on a 60 day old tire.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I took some of yours advice & called my LBS, they told me to pound sand & that I was stuck with the tires. They said the sidewall punctures were my fault...SO, I call Spesh & they said to return them to the LBS that Spesh has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

I called back my LBS & this time I spoke to the assistant manager & he said yes, bring the tires in for a swap. He said that I could swap them for what ever Spesh tire I wanted but I'd have to pay the difference.

I'm thinking the same tires but wider & in the armadillo flavor, what say you?

mtbr member
    I had the same problem with a Captain Control 2.2, sidewall tear after 2 hour ride. Sealant would not work, I returned to shop for a replacement. They did not give me a hard time, but said if i have a problem rubbing the sidewall again it would be my fault. They did reccomend the armadillo version as well. If I have a problem again, I will contact specialized and let them know.

Save Jesus
    The Mike's Bikes near me was also very reluctant to honor Specialized's return policy. I wonder if the store gets screwed somehow.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jesspal View Post
    I had the same problem with a Captain Control 2.2, sidewall tear after 2 hour ride. Sealant would not work, I returned to shop for a replacement. They did not give me a hard time, but said if i have a problem rubbing the sidewall again it would be my fault. They did reccomend the armadillo version as well. If I have a problem again, I will contact specialized and let them know.
    Do you think the same sized tire in UST would be worth it for side wall protection?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    The Mike's Bikes near me was also very reluctant to honor Specialized's return policy. I wonder if the store gets screwed somehow.
    I doubt it, I got the feeling that they were ignorant of the Spesh policy. AND...they aren't making any money if I don't buy a new tire.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had my LBS order me a Purgatory Grid 2.4 for the front & a Ground Control Grid 2.3 for the rear. I'm hoping that the thicker sidewalls will remove most of my worries about sidewall punctures.