mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Replacement Rim for Bontrager Race Light X?

So, I totally got scammed by a seller on CL. I bought a set of Race X Lite 29er wheels, I noticed that the rear wheel wasn't perfectly true, but I figured it could be fixed. Turns out the rim is bent (flat spot) and it cannot be fixed. LBS wanted $300 to rebuild it with a new replacement rim. (I bought the wheels for $230)

I'm wondering if there are other rims that can work with this hub? If so, which ones and what spokes do I use?

Or should I just throw it away and chalk it up to a learning experience? Or find another sucker on CL. J/K, im not an *******.

transmitter~receiver
    $300 to rebuild it is ridiculous. I'd go elsewhere.
    Your rim choices are going to be limited in a 28h rim.
    I don't see a reason not to reuse the spokes... possibly even nipples if they are brass or in very good shape. On a $230 wheelset you don't get too far before you're throwing good money after bad, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the response.

So, most 28 hole rims should work? With the same spokes?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by GF_Rider View Post
    Thanks for the response.

So, most 28 hole rims should work? With the same spokes?
    No... you'll have to find one with the same ERD (or at least within 1-2mm). You may be able to get the ERD out of Bonty tech support. If not, you are going to have to find a creative way to measure it or measure the spokes and back-calculate it. That's going to take a bit of technical know-how and creative adaptation of tools.
    The first thing I'd try to do is find an identical replacement rim from Bontrager/Trek. That is going to have to come from a Bontrager/Trek dealer.
    Second thing is going to be either build it yourself (reusing parts) or find a shop that will do it for a reasonable price... hopefully reusing the components, but that will be their call.
    In either case you're going to have to compare the quality of the wheel vs. what you can get new to the price to reclaim it through repair.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Bontrager Mustang OSB 700c has an ERD of 603 with an offset of 2.5, you're spoke length should be ~288 on both sides on the current hub. Assuming the Bontrager Race X-Lite is a similar rim, you should be able to directly replace it with a Stans Arch EX 29er rim that comes in 28h as the spoke length is within ~0.5mm length (28h with a 2x pattern).

I used this calculator to make this educated guess, you should always double check the actual measurements.

Edd, an easy to use spoke length calculator

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The Bontrager Mustang OSB 700c has an ERD of 603 with an offset of 2.5, you're spoke length should be ~288 on both sides on the current hub. Assuming the Bontrager Race X-Lite is a similar rim, you should be able to directly replace it with a Stans Arch EX 29er rim that comes in 28h as the spoke length is within ~0.5mm length (28h with a 2x pattern).

I used this calculator to make this educated guess, you should always double check the actual measurements.

Edd, an easy to use spoke length calculator
    Look at this guy hookin your ass up!!

Save Jesus
    Read "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt which has a procedure for fixing a flat spot by hammering it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Awesome, thank you!

How did you determine the spoke length? I could not find the hub in that calculator.

The only numbers on the hub are (printed where the cassette goes):

FH-420388-TPI

Is the Part Number somewhere else?

I actually have a set of Mustang wheels (came on a 2012 Superfly AL Elite) that look very similar to my RXL wheels(both 28h, both disc, both asymmetrical), the profile looks identical to the RLX wheels as far as I can tell. However the hub flange is different, so comparing the spoke length wont work.

I do not mind buying new spokes/nipples. Seems like the right thing to do if I'm going to rebuild a wheel. So, I guess I just need to figure out what spokes I need to match this hub?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thank you. but hammer it out with what?

any chance you could post some super brief cliff notes? Just enough to see if it sounds like something I could handle/have the tools for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    IIRC $250 of that was for the new rim.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by GF_Rider View Post
    Awesome, thank you!

How did you determine the spoke length? I could not find the hub in that calculator.

The only numbers on the hub are (printed where the cassette goes):

FH-420388-TPI

Is the Part Number somewhere else?

I actually have a set of Mustang wheels (came on a 2012 Superfly AL Elite) that look very similar to my RXL wheels(both 28h, both disc, both asymmetrical), the profile looks identical to the RLX wheels as far as I can tell. However the hub flange is different, so comparing the spoke length wont work.

I do not mind buying new spokes/nipples. Seems like the right thing to do if I'm going to rebuild a wheel. So, I guess I just need to figure out what spokes I need to match this hub?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
    Enter Bontrager into the hub search and Bontrager Race X Lite Centerlock is in their database.

Save Jesus
    loosen all spokes 2 turns
    remove the spoke(s) at the dent
    Support the rim with 2 blocks of wood
    Using a piece of wood with a cutout like the shape of the rim, hit it with a hammer

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Using a piece of wood with a cutout like the shape of the rim, hit it with a hammer
    Good call

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    I got a 2 x 4, a jig saw, and a 29" rim...guess what I'm going to make for my tool kit tonight!