mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Replacement Bearings for Mavic Crossmax SL UST Tubeless Disc

Hi,

My back wheels is making a really nasty sound and I think it is the bearings. Jensen USA has Enduro Ceramic bearings and they seem cheaper than other places. However I have no idea what size I need for a 2006 Mavic Crossmax SL UST Tubeless Disc. I have googled searched and not found any useful info.

Does anyone know what is the correct bearing size for those wheels?

Thanks

RIDE...
    Hello Cris!
    go to the page of enduroforkseals.com they sell the ceramic bearing for your mavic SL or SLR, they owrked really good for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks,

I have had a look at their website - they sell the bearings by model of the wheel which is good - atleast you know you are getting what should fit. However Jensen sells buy the model of the bearing and are cheaper and as I want to buy some other stuff off them and hopefully do it in one order. Problem being that postage from USA to Australia is often more than the goods.

That is the main reaso nI wanted to know the size so I could order from Jensen. I sent them an e-mail and they said they don't know and check Mavic website which I had done as is about as useful as a mountain bike without wheels.

I can buy them in Australia from the distributor for not much more than the price from enduroforkseals and at least if they don't fit potage will not be so bad to send them back.

Now I have to decide whether to bother buying them in Australia and fitting myself or getting the bike shop to do it seeing I can not save heaps on the parts. Did you fit yours yourself? If so was it easy?

Thanks
    Chris

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try Boca Bearings, the list the Mavic SL on their site.

Been there done that, it is dead easy to get the bearings out of that wheelset.

I would do so, then measure then up, then I would pry off the seal regrease and reinstall, then order the right bearing from whoever. You should be able to extend the life of the old ones quite a bit, while you wait for delivery.

MTB Missionary
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-crisis
    Hi,

My back wheels is making a really nasty sound and I think it is the bearings. Jensen USA has Enduro Ceramic bearings and they seem cheaper than other places. However I have no idea what size I need for a 2006 Mavic Crossmax SL UST Tubeless Disc. I have googled searched and not found any useful info.

Does anyone know what is the correct bearing size for those wheels?

Thanks
    There are 3 bearings in this hub. You probably need the one that is on the rotor side. It measures OD 30mm, ID 17mm, width 7mm. The typical # for this bearing is a 6903. Jenson has them in several brands, but the Enduro Hybrid Ceramics is probably your best bet for the money.

The reason I know this is that I ruined my last set of bearings in the exact same wheelset ('04 model) by over tightening the preload/dust cover on the rotor side. AFAIK, crank this baby down until it touches, then back off 1/8 to 1/4 turn. It is not supposed to touch the inner race of the bearing at all, if my Park bike maintenance book was correct.

If someone has more/different info on this, by all means, let us know the correct procedure. You won't hurt my feelings , I'm used to being wrong most of the time .
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks guys, some really useful tips there. I will try get my bearings out, check that they do actually feel worn and are probably the problem. Then give them some new grease etc. If they do feel a bit rough then order some new ones and while I assume it is a 6903 I might as well double check the size if i can get them out.

Thanks for the heads up about backing off the dust cover. Chances are I might have ruined a new bearing.

Thanks
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes there are three bearings in this hub, one as MTBDDS said is a 6903 (OD 30mm, ID 17mm and width 7mm) and is on the brake rotor side. The other two are 608 (OD 22mm, ID 8mm and width 7mm) with one in the hub on the cassette side and one in the free wheel.

Lookingon the internet Jensen USA is the cheapest howere the price at ww.diymtb.com.au is hardly any more so if buying from Australia probably better to buy from diymtb. I ordered mine from there on thursday afternoon and they arrived sometime friday and I fitted them on the weekend.

It was not that hard getting the bearings out and new ones back in. did the whole job in less than an hour including giving everythign a good clean including the cluster while it was off. Unfortunately due to kids birthday parties etc I haven't been able to go for a ride to see if it has fixed the problem.