Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Replacement for a 2.2 Kenda Cortez ?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Duckman 
#1 ·
I currently have a rear 2.2 Kenda Cortez on my BLT trail bike. I have been running this tire for a couple of seasons but found out they no longer make the 2.2. I need a replacement - fast roller, large volume. I will continue to run the 2.4 Cortez up front. Thanx

#7 ·
tedsti said:
I have a 2.2 Karma and a 2.2 Cortez. The knob height looks identical to me. The only difference that I can notice is a little more rubber on the sidewall on the Cortez.
Hmm... Well I just went off what the Kenda tech. told me. They must be mighty similar then . Kenda recomended I run a Small Block V8 or BG. I already have BG's and they are slow. Maybe a V8 ?

#8 ·
tedsti said:
I have a 2.2 Karma and a 2.2 Cortez. The knob height looks identical to me. The only difference that I can notice is a little more rubber on the sidewall on the Cortez.
I have a Cortez 2.2 and it looks very similiar to the Karma 2.2 (bottom tire in pic) in this pic (pic is comparing the Karma 2.0 & 2.2) ...

Based off this pic, I'd say Karma would be a great replacement.

Pic taken from this thread (thanks Duckman for pic)...https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=392861&highlight=2.2+karma

#10 · (Edited)
Surely its bigger.. I like the Karma 2.2 better since it has much more volumn and weighs less at 580gms(I have one 2.2 that weighs 563gms). And the knobs are indeed twice the height as the std more racy 2.0 Karma(pic below shows an almost new 2.0 Karma being the above tire, and a new 2.2 below it). The pictures I've seen of the Cortez(this very subject has come up just recently here) look identical to the "new" Karma 2.2 regarding knob height, pattern, etc.

Side view compared to a 2.0 Karma on rear..which has decent volumn itself(more closer to the Python in volumn). The 2.2 up front has obviously taller casing and knobs. If you read the reviews of the Cortez, to me it rings true for this tire regarding roll speed, traction, etc. About $29 on the net. I use the 2.2 front setup for trail duty and such. Race day I swap out to an Olympic front with Stans alum rotor/2.25 RRalph setup.

Sorry, I just posted these pics recently for the same reasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.