mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Replace shimano Hub or whole wheel - any wheel or Hub suggestions please

Hi

I have just serviced and re-greased my Shimano Deore Hubs on my MTB and found on Just one side of the rear wheel Hub had rusty pitted BB's and the Cup also Pitted (the cone looked oK just Discoloured - shiny and matt in Parts) - I have googled and found you cannot replace Cups on Shimano Hubs so need a Hub replacement .I also asked my 2 local Bike shops and they both said BUY a new wheel as will be cheaper then just a Hub replacement ? is this LBS just trying to drum up Business ? i would probably Buy online anyway.

Do i need a whole new wheel as cheaper if you add up Hub and replacing in Wheel or just buy a Replacement Hub which i can get the same replacement for like $30 online where local bike shop says $200 for whole new wheel ?
    seems a lot to spend just as one bearing cup has gone to me. the wheel and rest are great quality and condition (mavic 117 wheels,)(2008 Giant XTC 2 as original)

If i need a whole new wheel i can probably get alot cheaper for better quality online then local bike shop can offer (but will ask them first)
    So can someone suggest a sensible priced replacement Wheel not to expensive (maybe new type with sealed Bearing Hubs) of similar quality or slightly better - I am a Bit baffled as so many out there .
    Or just a replacement Hub ?
    Thanks all

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Because of the cost associated with lacing a new hub into an existing wheel (especially a 'basic' Mavic 117/Shimano Deore wheel), I would say it was probably a good suggestion, but $200 for one Mavic 117/Shimano Deore rear wheel is way out of line.

Here is a Mavic 317/Shimano wheelset (both wheels, with better rims, and Deore hubs) for $180 with shipping:

Mavic XM 317 Shimano Deore MTB Disc Wheelset 26" 32h 3X Centerlock 9mm QR 1910G | eBay

Those are for centerlock hubs, so if you don't want to deal with that (adapters or new rotors): Mavic 119/Shimano wheelset for $150 plus shipping:

Shimano Deore Disc/Mavic XM119 Wheels > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I found those with just a few minutes of searching. Probably lots of other examples if you look around.

Paying a little more at the LBS is good. Paying more than double what it should cost is out of line IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi Jeffj

Thanks for those suggestions But the first link has $724 postage to australia , for those wheel ,
    Sorry I might not have been clear , the bike shops offered me different wheels , one a Velocity somethings and other shop a Novatec wheel both said $200 . but i dont buy much from Local shop as prices can be double /triple or 4-5 times online price in Australia .

I have now wheel is quick release, with Disc brake held on the hub by a spline not the Bolts, and freehub is just allen keyed on to a thread and other spline .
    I would also prefer to try a new hub type with the Sealed bearing that i can just swap out easily.

I have googled alot for wheels but have no idea whats good or not, and whats worth going for , here in Australia shops tend to charge double at least I can buy for online in the UK (chain reaction cycles or wiggle) and I can get free shpping from the UK where australia charges $20-$40 just from 10KM away .
    ordering from the USA also a cheap option but shipping from there always a lot .

so if i know what i am looking for and a couple good suggestions I can search online and buy - if its' better to go for a whole new wheel rather then just replace a Hub

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    nm - posted in wrong thread
    Last edited by epic; 07-20-2013 at 01:11 PM.