mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Replace Rims or Entire Wheelset ?

Getting yet another bike! This time a single speed Kona.

Comes with WTB Speed Disc 123 rims and Formula DC52 hubs.

Out of the box I'd like to lighten in up just not sure what to do.

I am a clyde at 245-250 and on my hardtail ride Black Flag Pro. Was advised they would not stand up under my weight but I have had no issues in 6 months of riding.

So do i just replace rims with something like a lighter Stans or Black Flag or switch out the entire wheelset?

I know nothing about Formula hubs and cannot find any reviews.

I'm thinking that I'm better off buying a wheelset.

Oh yes, i'd like tubeless option.

If I'm only saving grams I'll leave things as they are but if its a matter of say 2-3 pounds I'll spend the money.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Forumla hubs are basically no-name hubs found on all sorts of OEM wheel builds. They're not bad, but there's nothing special about them either. I wouldn't invest money into rebuilding them to different wheels, I'd just keep them as a set of backup wheels, or sell them to offset the cost of new wheels.

OT, but FWIW I don't think 6-months is long enough to know if your wheels are really "holding up" or not.

Huckin' trails

Jenson USA has the Easton XC One SS specific 26" wheelset on sale at $175 ($600 MSRP) and it's a very nice wheelset for that price. I bought one just for the front wheel, and I still have the rear wheel for sale, brand new in box. Make me an offer and it's yours. I just want to get rid of it, coz I'm not gonna go SS anytime soon.

PM me if interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Jenson USA has the Easton XC One SS specific 26" wheelset on sale at $175 ($600 MSRP) and it's a very nice wheelset for that price. I bought one just for the front wheel, and I still have the rear wheel for sale, brand new in box. Make me an offer and it's yours. I just want to get rid of it, coz I'm not gonna go SS anytime soon.

PM me if interested.

The Kona is a 29er.

Huckin' trails

Well I know they also make this wheelset in 29", check on eBay.

Or get yourself some carbon hoops from Light-Bicycle.com hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbpete
    A brand new wheelset, even a low end one is best kept together for back up or resale. None of the parts are worn out yet and if you take it apart the rim and spokes will likely never get used.

It's not a good idea to go with too light of a wheelset at your weight because even if you haven't had problems the fatigue to the spokes and hubs add up with miles.

The stock Stan's 3.30 disc rear hub is not strong enough for you. I would go with Hope or another brand. If you're not an aggressive rider you can get away with a well built Arch EX, but the Flow EX would be a better choice. OR if you like to use UST tires the WTB i23 rims are great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    A brand new wheelset, even a low end one is best kept together for back up or resale. None of the parts are worn out yet and if you take it apart the rim and spokes will likely never get used.

It's not a good idea to go with too light of a wheelset at your weight because even if you haven't had problems the fatigue to the spokes and hubs add up with miles.

The stock Stan's 3.30 disc rear hub is not strong enough for you. I would go with Hope or another brand. If you're not an aggressive rider you can get away with a well built Arch EX, but the Flow EX would be a better choice. OR if you like to use UST tires the WTB i23 rims are great.
    Thanks, Pete.

Your thoughts on this for a clyde?

They are SS specific, good or bad?

Easton XC One 29 SS Disc 2010 > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbpete
    I would not recommend that wheelset for your weight. It is very light and looks to only have 24 spokes front and rear. Singlespeed rear hubs do inherently produce a stronger rear wheel, but that wheelset is too light.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    I would not recommend that wheelset for your weight. It is very light and looks to only have 24 spokes front and rear. Singlespeed rear hubs do inherently produce a stronger rear wheel, but that wheelset is too light.
    Thanks.

Any recommendation for SS only strong wheelset or just stick with stock.

BTW: Just looked at your page. I'd like to keep at 350-400 for set but if need be for great setup i would consider your pricing. However may be overkill at my newbie level