mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Repairing hole in mountain king UST

All,

I have a hole in the tread of my tire. Too big to be sealed with Stans. Not sure if just duct tape or electrical tape would work. Just looking for some ideas on how to repair if possible.

Best,

Puffy

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thoroughly clean the wound. First soap and water and then a solvent like IPA (not the beer)
    put a piece of your duct tape on the inside of the hole.
    Fill from the outside with either a hot melt or a 2part low durometer epoxyn that lists adhesion to rubber. Look for something that says it's flexible, or if you're lucky they'll give a shore hardness, which you would want to match to your tire's hardness. Anything in the A scale should work pretty well.

I'd imagine there's probably a product designed to do this, but I really don't feel like googling right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Can you just use a tube patch? Is the hole too big?

Bontrager: How to Find and Fix Leaks in your Tubeless Tires
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

transmitter~receiver
    Use a Hutchinson Rep'air kit if you want a durable fix.

Click the pic to buy one from Universal Cycles.

The instructions will tell you what to do. It's pretty straightforward. The only thing I do in addition to the instructions is use an Irwin Quick Grip clamp to help adhesion.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Just fixed a sidewall tear UST

I also hate it when a puncture is too large for the Stans sealant to plug. Usually it's either a serious pinch flat that cuts the bead at the rim, or in this recent case, a gash through the sidewall of a Mutano TCS tire. Sealant came out, but it would not seal. Had to tube it for the ride out and it had a bubble where the tube was trying to escape.

After getting home, I cleaned the inside of the tire with denatured alcohol (cheap) to clean all sealant and any tire release agent leftover from the molding process. This is so the vulcanizing glue can do it's job witht the patch.

After cleaning , I stitched (sewed) the tear (using Kevlar upholstery thread) making sure to cross over the tear far enough to get some of the sidewall nylon cords in the stitch to make it resist tearing again. My thrid picture shows the threaded repair, with some superglue on the outside for protection.

After sewing, I patched using a radial tire vulcanizing patch and glue, it was $4 at auto parts store for glue and 3 patches and they work better than Hutchinson kit. They are huge, so if the hole or tear is small, just cut the patch smaller with scissors. Make sure the glue is almost completely dry before pressing the patch onto it. It's really important for a super good hold. Follow the glue directions that come with patch kits. Be patient. This is why I always carry a tube in the trails. No way I have the time to wait for glue to dry when I have a flat. So after fixing it, I just reinstall, sealant, air and go. No need to toss a $35 tire. Or use a tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Repairing hole in mountain king UST-img_1952.jpg  

Repairing hole in mountain king UST-img_1953.jpg  

Repairing hole in mountain king UST-img_1955.jpg  

≈ > ♥
    I just gashed the sidewall of one of my new RocketRons pretty badly...

Sewed the gash up with dentalfloss, then hit it with crazyglue.
    Worked like a hot damn.

NMBP

Crazy (Super) Glue +1

I tore a tread on my brand new Nobby Nic and was pretty bummed about my very expensive trashed tire. A friend recommended trying super glue. It has been holding air since last September. They had several kinds at Home Depot. I used one that is made for wet conditions. It is a cheap fix if it works for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Gorilla glue has worked for me on cuts too big for Stan's to seal.

Team Livemedium
    awesome. you are all my heros. trying my own stitch and patch but still running a tube. tried patch and tubeless set up but it blew out. used normal thread. hope it works if I try stans again.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Give it a crank
    Auto tire patches work but if the hole/gash is large enough, they can gradually squeeze out through the puncture over time. The one I used to cover a 1/2" sidewall tear did that and looked ready to pop through before I ditched the tire. If you use an auto tire patch, check the tire after every ride.

NMBP
    I repaired another torn tread on a brand new Crossmark with super glue back in May, and it is still holding air. (Damn you rocks in Pennsylvania!) The repair from last September is still holding too.

Now older but less slow!
    Great info for repairing tires however in my experience with the Mountain King you may as well toss the tire because its durability is terrible and it will shred knobs just looking at it. (Okay, that last bit is an exaggeration but mine lasted no time at all).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Gorilla duct tape seems to do the trick for me.