pyroclastic flow

Removed graphics from Stans Arch EX

I had enough and decided to take off the stickers on my Arch EX rims because i thought they were so gawdy and too much.
    Anyone else feel the same way?
    I love them all black, it brings out the red nipples as well as my Chris King red hubs!
    "THE FACT IS THIS FRICTION WILL ONLY BE WORN BY PERSISTENCE"
    2009 PIVOT MACH 4

mtbr member
    I think stickers in general look cheap so yeah, get rid of them. You knocked off a few grams too!

mtbr member
    Use a hairdryer to warm up the glue, and the stickers should lift off pretty clean.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troyer2112 View Post
    Especially the new and updated stickers. Those suckers are at least 12" long on the rim. Preferred the older style which was small and clean.

And I'm rocking my rims without decals as well. But I have Sun Ringle Charger Experts and those were just one big sticker all around, quite an eye sore that didn't match one single thing on my bike.

HAHA PWN
    I was thinking the same thing. Too much look at me!!! I prefer the stealthy look anyhow.

mtbr member
    Yeah I took the Arch EX decals off my wheels too cause the colors clashed horribly with the black and turquoise on my Yeti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troyer2112 View Post
    I had enough and decided to take off the stickers on my Arch EX rims because i thought they were so gawdy and too much.
    I love them all black, it brings out the red nipples as well as my Chris King red hubs!
    "Leave out conditions. Courageous convictions. Will drag the dream into existence" -NP

Any issues with the red alloy nipples on the Arch rims? My LBS guys told me not to use the colored alloy nipples and to only use brass ones. I want to build up some Arch EX w/ red nipples and red King hubs.
    -boom

mtbr member
    The main issue I've had in the past with colored nipples was the color either faded or wore off from spoke wrench. This was especially true when I was riding motocross and the size of the nipples on those wheels. I really like the matching nipple/hub look though. My current setup though is blacked out rim, black nipples, white spokes and black hubs and they look sick.

mtbr member
    I love Stan's stuff, especially my Arch EX 29er wheels, but I hate those stickers. I wouldn't mind them so much if they didn't spill over to the rim sidewall. They're thick enough that they interfere with truing if you're looking to remove that last little bit of lateral run out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Any issues with the red alloy nipples on the Arch rims? My LBS guys told me not to use the colored alloy nipples and to only use brass ones. I want to build up some Arch EX w/ red nipples and red King hubs.
    depends on your spoke tension. a high-tension wheel needs brass. lower tension can get away with aluminum.

if you're a heavy rider or hard on wheels, always brass. you can get shiny or black, at least.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    There is absolutely no problem with using alu nips on Stans rims. The lack of eyelets means you can't be ham-fisted on the spoke tension. As long as you've got the right length spokes so the threads engage the head of the alu nipple you will have no problems no matter how hard or heavy you are. The spoke bed is the weak point, not the nipple.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you think it makes you a better and faster rider then knock your socks off. Personally I'll spend my time riding verse pulling off stickers.

mtbr member
    I have Stans Crest 29er rims. They had 26" decals so the ERD read wrong on it and the curvature didn't match the rim precisely. Thankfully they peeled off easily. I also have red nipples on the spokes.

I've also heard you shouldn't use aluminium nipples on rims without eyelets, but never heard an explanation as to why.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MOMtbiker View Post
    If you think it makes you a better and faster rider then knock your socks off. Personally I'll spend my time riding verse pulling off stickers.
    I think it looks much better, but I'd also rather be riding then messing with stickers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MOMtbiker View Post
    I don't understand this point at all. I am not lucky enough to get to ride 24 hours a day. I have to work, eat, spend time with my wife and rest. While watching TV with my wife I can't be riding, but I can peel stickers off of my wheels. You are posting on a forum right now instead of riding. I fail to see a significant difference between that and the activity you are disparaging.

To the OP. the stickers are easy to remove and if you prefer the wheels without the stickers go for it. I for one think you should, even if you don't get any faster due to your work.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor View Post
    I don't understand this point at all. I am not lucky enough to get to ride 24 hours a day. I have to work, eat, spend time with my wife and rest. While watching TV with my wife I can't be riding, but I can peel stickers off of my wheels. You are posting on a forum right now instead of riding. I fail to see a significant difference between that and the activity you are disparaging.

To the OP. the stickers are easy to remove and if you prefer the wheels without the stickers go for it. I for one think you should, even if you don't get any faster due to your work.
    Ok, my problem is I'm lazy when it comes to stuff like this. Is there a easy way?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Ok, my problem is I'm lazy when it comes to stuff like this. Is there a easy way?
    As someone mentioned earlier, use a hairdrier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Pay your bike shop to do it

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    My decals came off by peeling them straight off the rim at a 90 degree angle, if I remember correctly. Try various angles and you'll find the pulling direction that allows you to get the whole sticker off in one piece with minimal glue residue left on the rim. The little that's left can be wiped off with xylene or isopropanol. That's all I did and it didn't take much effort.