Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Rekon vs Forekaster vs Mezcal (Front Tire Options)

I need a tire to compliment a beefy, high-volume, fast-rolling rear tire. On the rear of my bikes I tend to prefer drifty, but somewhat lightweight tough tires like the Rocket Ron, Aggressor, Ardent, etc. I'm not picky about rear tires.

I'm trying to find a good, fast rolling but predictable cornering 29x2.35+ front tire. No DHF/HR2/Butcher here. I have those tires, I need something different.

Rekon 2.6, rolls quick, but not XC-race quick. Has better grip than most XC tires, though.

Forekaster 2.6 (when it arrives in 29" format), apparently has good grip, but maybe not quite Rekon levels of grip. Rolls faster than Rekon, slower than Ardent.

Mezcal, popular XC tire, but in 2.6 format may work well for aggressive trail riding up front.

Thoughts?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member

Rekon / Forekaster COmbo

Currently running the Rekon 2.6 up front with a Forekaster 2.35 in the rear and I really like the combo. I tried the Rekon in the back and it barely fit and felt pretty draggy. In the front it just absolutely plows through loose sand / gravel at high sppeds. The Forekaster is not the fastest rolling tire but also handles a variety of terrain very well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm on 27.5 but I mess with a lot of Maxxis tires, especially in 2.6. I find Recon to be grippy, predictable, reasonably light on the front. Almost velcro-like on some surfaces. While I don't really feel held back by it (like a DHF), it is not the fastest tire on the front. And it is draggy on back for sure.

Forekaster feels a lot faster to me. My guess is rolling resistance is substantially less than Recon. It spins up with about the same effort but is much easier to keep rolling fast. Perceived weight is about the same and it grips real well on soft ground and rock. However, in loose stuff I don't think it has the grip. I haven't done it yet, but I suspect it would not be hard to wash out on a fast and loose descent. So depends on your conditions and how much grip you need.

I also run a Forekaster 2.35 in the rear and like it.