mtbr member

Reinforced packaging tape to replace Stan's Yellow tape?

Anybody ever try using reinforced packaging tape (the tape with fibres in it) in place of Stan's Yellow tape? Can't find any Stan's tape locally and wondering if it's worth trying.

Thanks,

Dan

wants a taco
    If I remember correctly when i bought an early stan's kit it came with this tape from 3m so i doubt you will have any issues, just make sure its strong and has a decent adheasive on it.

cgrocho
    Jun 2006
    It does work, I have used it. But it's kind of messy to remove, so it's not ideal.

Underweight Rider
    How often do you need to replace the tapes? everytime when you change new tires? how long do these tapes last?

cgrocho
    Jun 2006
    I have one set of non-tubeless wheels where the fiber tape as rim tape has lasted for years - I never saw a need to change it. But for tubeless conversion with sealant, I like to clean out the rims thoroughly during a tire swap, including swapping the rim tape. That may not be necessary every time, but when you do it it will be a bit of a PITA with the fiber tape. Another thing about the fiber tape that's less than ideal is the stray fibers you may get mucking things up.

On another subject, there's no need to buy the Stan's rim strips if you don't want to. Just buy 20'' Continental tubes and cut them along each folded edge all the way around - instant rim strip! The reason I specify Conti is that they already have removable valve cores. How sweet is that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wddamf
    Anybody ever try using reinforced packaging tape (the tape with fibres in it) in place of Stan's Yellow tape? Can't find any Stan's tape locally and wondering if it's worth trying.

Thanks,

Dan
    Been using Gorilla tape for a month now and it works pretty well. The 1" tape is pricey (costs about the same as the 2" wide but shorter). There is a thread here about using it do a search. The stuff can be bought at walgreens or office depot.

Stray Bullet
    I've used duct tape with XM321s and UST tires. It worked perfectly.

Just follow the video on Stan's site and you should be good to go.

Does the right thing
    I can vouch for the fact that the initial Stan's set ups recommended the packaging tape. I set up a DH wheelset that way back in 2001 and it worked great. I currently run an XC set up that way as well.
    Use two wraps and then cover with a standard rim strip to avoid messing it up. Also, the higher quality tape the better the performance. Try to get a roll that is as wide as your rim but no wider since trimming the width down to fit is no fun.