mtbr member

Recommended grease for freehub-Bontrager Pro Rhythm

My recently purchased (new) Bontrager Pro Rhythms have had horrible engagement. Figured they'd loosen up, but no improvement over the last couple of weeks with constant clunking and unpredictable engagement.

So pulled off the end cap, and found the freehub ratchet mechanism packed with a gooey grey grease. The pawls were barely moving on the freehub due to all the gunk in there, and you could barely hear the ratcheting.

With everything cleaned out, wondering what grease, if any I should use on the pawls and ratchet. Mineral oil was used on my old Mavics, and wondering what would be sufficient for this setup (traditional 3 pawl mechanism). I'd rather do a bit more frequent maintenance than worry about the pawls burying themselves in grease while slamming the boys into the top tube

Thanks,

Mark
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bontrager has changed the spec on their grease, sounds like your wheel is from earlier production. The stuff they are using now is similar to Shimano's grease, but if you have, or can get Slick Honey (www.slickhoneyusa.com) it has the same viscosity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irydebikes
    Bontrager has changed the spec on their grease, sounds like your wheel is from earlier production. The stuff they are using now is similar to Shimano's grease, but if you have, or can get Slick Honey (www.slickhoneyusa.com) it has the same viscosity.
    I was rummaging thru my container of various wonder lubricants purchased over the years, and think I actually have a small tub of the slickhoney stuff. Thanks for the advice....will give it a try. Anyone need any Judy Butter?

Mark
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Finished it up with Slick Honey and the engagement is great. But it's LOUD! No more stealthy passes on my buddies Now time to pull off the front wheel and see if I can get it to stop the lovely popping noises these things are so famous for

mg
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t