Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Recommendations on a rear QR skewer

I've been running Salsa QR's for years, no issues and might get another for my new bike. Anything recommendations out their for a "rear" QR, full suspension bike?
    How's are the Crank Bros split skewers?
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    shimano

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What hubs are you running?
    It is possible they have a bolt on option, chris king does for example.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Chris King ISO rear hub.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    Chris King ISO rear hub.
    Here is a link to CK Fun Bolts, the image is of a single speed, but they work just the same on a geared hub, better picture on the SS page.

http://chrisking.com/hubs/hbs_sspeed_disc

Depending on your axle, new or old version,
    the old version used the two 5mm allen wrench's to adjust the bearing pre load.

The new version is a one piece axle with a locking collar to adj pre load.

If you have to buy the newer axle to use the fun bolts it could get a little expensive.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Interesting option, so a less convenient to install and remove, but more secure? So it requires a different hub axle to accommodate those bolts? I believe mine ISO rear is setup for the typical QR skewer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Interesting option, so a less convenient to install and remove, but more secure? So it requires a different hub axle to accommodate those bolts? I believe mine ISO rear is setup for the typical QR skewer.
    Yes either axle will work with skewers, but the newer axle will convert to Fun Bolts.

Also it is a little more time to install, remove but more solid rear end, if you ride alot of rocks and roots give the fun bolts some concideration.

mtbr member
    I second the Shimano for an easy and cheap upgrade over the Salsa skewers. They really do clamp harder that those external cam designs

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Dt Swiss RWS are cool!

AZ
    banned
    Shimano , XT or XTR .

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Shimano , XT or XTR .
    Shimano XT. Just bought a rear (135mm) from a guy on fleabay for $11.95 and free shipping.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Ultimated Outsider
    Any Shimano or Campy.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Shimano XT. Just bought a rear (135mm) from a guy on fleabay for $11.95 and free shipping.
    Recieved it and it is NOT Shimano XT and it is floppy loose on the lever/cam end....DO NOT BUY these if you see them!

EDIT: Guy has not answered my email requesting to return the skewer!
    Last edited by Natedogz; 12-08-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Anybody use the Hope QRs? Been thinking of picking up a pair to match my Hope Pro IIs. Like the bling factor.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Are all skewers not created equal? I'm in the market for some too.

The Specialized one I have, is failing on the front....could've lost some teeth on my last ride. Glad I stopped to check it out, even though it was closed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365
    Are all skewers not created equal? I'm in the market for some too.

The Specialized one I have, is failing on the front....could've lost some teeth on my last ride. Glad I stopped to check it out, even though it was closed.
    Correct, they are not all equal. Skewers with an internal cam are much better than the external cam style. See this page that explains the difference. Shimano skewers have an internal cam and are pretty cheap too

mtbr member
    Thank you.

COMBO - President
    Quote Originally Posted by mgsuarez
    Dt Swiss RWS are cool!
    second that x2, thinking my new Niner will be running one. Have had one on the front for 6 months and and it's great.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Another vote for the dt rws. I have them front and rear.

Pro - On the rear you can get it as tight as a bolt-on but still be able to get the wheel off on the trail without using a tool. On my specialized the arm swings 360 degrees without hitting the frame.

Con - On the front, it can be a bit of a hassle because the arm is blocked by the end of the fork, so you have to keep pulling it out and placing it back around the clock to keep tightening. (if you haven't tried one this may not make sense)

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

QR advantages

The one factor I didn't consider are the rare times that I flat and have to fix the rear tire. I carry around a 3,4,5mm wrench so I guess it's not a huge issue to use bolts?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The one factor I didn't consider are the rare times that I flat and have to fix the rear tire. I carry around a 3,4,5mm wrench so I guess it's not a huge issue to use bolts?
    CK uses an 8mm hex. Personally I don't miss having a skewer (front or rear) on my bike. If you get a flat you are getting tools out any way, so it is not a big deal.

tg
    mtbr member

This one

Hadley 10mm yum,yum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recommendations on a rear QR skewer-cimg0741.jpg