Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Recommendations for lightweight tubeless trail tire?

I'm looking to lighten the revolving weight of my MTB, which is currently running UST versions of the Continental Mountain King and X-King tires on UST rims. According to Google, both of them weigh somewhere over 800 grams. I'm a recreational rider who does a lot of rooty singletrack, so I'm looking for something considerably lighter, that would be good for that sort of use. It doesn't have to be a UST tire, but tubeless-ready would be good, as I DO use sealant.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Rolling resistance is drastically more important than weight.

If you like the mountain kings, you can get the regular version and shave some weight. The true UST tires tend to be drastically heavier. Most comparable tubeless ready tires are going to be around ~700-800g as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What about Nobby Nic tubless ready tires? Pretty light for what they are with good grip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. I know that I could run conventional clinchers tubeless on my UST rims, but am I right in understanding that they'd be much more likely to burp?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Lots of tires in the lw trail category, many of which are tubeless ready. Examples:
    Mk II protection
    Nobby nic
    Spec. Ground control (my newest favorite)
    Maxxis ardent (not tubeless ready, but a coverts well)
    Wtb Bronson or mutano

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zothecula View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I know that I could run conventional clinchers tubeless on my UST rims, but am I right in understanding that they'd be much more likely to burp?
    I wouldn't assume that this would cause the tire to burp. It's more a function of rim width vs tire width. There's a great explanation on Pinkbike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I live in the SoCal Desert and I run the WTB Mutano Race 2.4 ghetto tubeless on the trail. They usually weigh in at 600g and roll pretty well compared to a big blocky lugged tire. I'm 155lbs and ride aggressively. I haven't had any problems cutting the sidewalls or burping. Mine are mounted on Mavic Crossmax SL Disc wheels (these are great at sealing most tires). The Bronson Race 2.3 is also great as a rear tire if you want a little more traction than the Mutano, but you gain 50 grams. The side lugs of the Mutano grip very well in the southwest and should also hold well on roots. I gave up on non-UST contis, nevegals, and fire pros because they all burped and cut. Most UST tires weigh too much for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have now a combo Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.4" in front and Conti Rubber Queen 2.2" UST back. I've really liked the combo so far, the "not-so-tall" tread pattern and big air volume(both are about the same size on air volume) helps with the rolling resistance, both weight about the same ~800grams. So, those weight about the same as your current setup, but the air volume is bigger.

The RQ works nicely on UST rim(I have Crossmax ST's) and you can run those with quite low pressures, I have usually 1.1-1.3 bar on rear, grip is really good on all kinds of surfaces. I don't like this up front, the side knobs are too small. Also the tire sidewalls are wider than the side knobs, this causes the sidewalls to scratch easily if you have to ride between big rocks...

The Ardent works also nicely on UST rim, but according to my experiences, running with less than 1.5bar will cause burping(since not actual UST/TL-ready tire), but 1.5..1.8bar gives nice grip and no burping. This works also very well as rear tire, due to the ramped center knobs.

WTB Bronson race 2.3" would be an interesting contender, I'll probably try that next, when the spring comes here some day...

Ach, and could you tell which kind of terrain you ride...?
    Last edited by Verttii; 03-08-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: terrain...

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    What about Nobby Nic tubless ready tires? Pretty light for what they are with good grip.
    +1 on on Nic for front tire, Ralph for the rear in the tubeless ready format with sealant. I've been pretty happy with the grip in all sorts of conditions.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    does the Nobby Nics 2,25 in trailstar compund exist or it`s only in the 2,4 size?? I think in the 2,25 version it's the pacestar compound which I think it's a little too hard as front tire

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    does the Nobby Nics 2,25 in trailstar compund exist or it`s only in the 2,4 size?? I think in the 2,25 version it's the pacestar compound which I think it's a little too hard as front tire
    I find the 2.35" Snakeskin TL plenty grippy with the pacestar compound when I run it around 27 psi. I haven't tried the other compound, as the 29er version is only available in pacestar where I shop. Maybe I'll try the 26" version in the trailstar compound in a couple months when I have a 26" bike again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You might try the Specailized Ground Control. Rolls good, good grip, solid side walls, and all around nice tire.

Ride the dream
    It all depends on exactly what your conditions are (description somewhat vague).

Bonty XR4 may be worth a look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am waiting for my set of XR4's to arrive and I will be setting them up tubeless. Will post impressions after I've gotten some time on them.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl View Post
    I am waiting for my set of XR4's to arrive and I will be setting them up tubeless. Will post impressions after I've gotten some time on them.
    I really like them - did you get the team-issue tubeless-ready ones?

They do come up quite large, but thats OK by me.

LightJunction.com
    I'm a big fan of the Rocket Ron for saving weight. They track pretty well over a variety of terrain too. I run a non-UST tire with Stan's sealant in them.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

SANCTUS
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Rolling resistance is drastically more important than weight.

If you like the mountain kings, you can get the regular version and shave some weight. The true UST tires tend to be drastically heavier. Most comparable tubeless ready tires are going to be around ~700-800g as well.
    you may want to do some research before you post next time

Hutchinson Tire : PYTHON - Tubeless Light

SANCTUS
    Hutchinson Tire : PIRANHA - Tubeless Light or a more aggressive UST tire at a resonable weight.

SANCTUS
    Hutchinson Tire : COBRA - Tubeless Ready lots of UST or tubeless ready tires that are reasonably light, Bontrager has good stuff too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    whats a good rear tire for new england trails , just ripped a maxis beaver and a specilized control in two weeks,thanks

SANCTUS

SANCTUS
    430 gm 29er race tire Bontrager: 29-0 (Model #08308)

SANCTUS
    Quote Originally Posted by msmolly46 View Post
    whats a good rear tire for new england trails , just ripped a maxis beaver and a specilized control in two weeks,thanks
    here is a handy site this is a lightweight reasonably tough tire.Check out the graph reference in regards to different aspects of their tire.Seems to me the tougher a tire the heavier with very few exceptions.Hutch tires with hardskin are the most rugged in my opinion, had a Toro duraskin that lasted well over a year.Hutchinson Tire : TORO - Tubeless Ready

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I Love Geax Mezcal 2.3 TNT (summer), Geax Gato 2.3 29er, and My Hutchinson TORO tubeless ready 29er 2.1 is a pleasant surprise. I run at 25 psi now. I wish TORO was 2.3. Python not so much for me as rocks tore it up each ride. I live in rocky area. Check out GEAX.com. Good website regardless of your choice of tire.

SANCTUS
    Hutchinson Tire : PYTHON - Tubeless Ready or maybe this, a fast roller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast