mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Recommendations for a east coast knarly singletrack tire, recommendations?

I live in WV and ride some nasty steep singletrack. Rocks, Roots, Mud, Drops, Etc. I am looking at some new tires as I have tried just about all of them over the years. I like the IRC Serac and the Hutchinson Mosquitos but they wear too fast if I am not using them only for races.

Other tires you recommend?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    weirwolves 2.3 race

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    conty vertical pros
    panaracer fire xc pros

mtbr member
    I also ride in the NE. NJ in fact. I've been riding on Continental Vertical Pro UST for some time and I've found them to be pretty good but I've been thinking of making a change. I've been looking at the Maxxis Ignitor UST.

Any comments?

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    I the trails are really nasty steep, rocky and muddy, I think Conti Survival 2.3s are hard to beat.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

a e i o u and sometimes y
    I'm an east coaster as well....and just finished a stint on the Conti Vertical Pros and loved them for the first month or so....then hated them after that. Early on, they hooked up and braked very nicely...and cornered pretty well with the endless edge. However, those corner knobs wore out real' fast and left me all squishy and squirrely on all the turns. I just went to the Specialized Enduro Pro with dual compound and 120 tpi casings.... Also, look into the Kenda Nevegals, Blue Grooves, or Kinetics with Stick-E compound. They all stick like hell and roll pretty well, considering. The Weirwolves hook up real' well...but roll a tad slower fromwhat I've heard-- may not be an issue for harder core mtn riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    weirwolves 2.3 race
    That wouldn't top my list if wet roots/rocks are involved (really only a dry loose conditions tire)

MC MasterShake
    Good:
    Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 stick-e upfront - Good Good Good
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC rear - Great traction wears quickly though
    Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 - Good all rounder, pricey
    Schwalbe Big Betty 2.40 - Haven't tried yet but heard rave reviews.
    Geax Sturdy 2.25 - Big tire, very tough. Not the best when wet or when cornering.

Bad:
    Conti Vert Pro 2.3 - Good traction but very flimsy.
    Hutch Spyder 2.3 - Kind of "balloony" feeling, flimsy.
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 - Bad Traction, weak.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm currently rolling with a Specialized Resolution w/ Stan's front/Roll-X UST rear and am really liking this setup. Climbs good, corners good, handles everything I normally ride well. When the Res. is done I wil replace it with the UST version. After going to the UST Roll-X, the difference is night and day to me. It follows through on most of the promises of tubeless as compared to a Stan's conversion.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    That wouldn't top my list if wet roots/rocks are involved (really only a dry loose conditions tire)
    I beg to differ
    I've been using them for 2 yrs now, also tried Continental & panaracer cinder, the Weirwolves out perform both and all the people I ride with have changed over as their tires wear out (or slip & slide on wet roots and rocks)

of course, if you pump them up too much they suck in wet conditions as do most others

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    I beg to differ
    I've been using them for 2 yrs now, also tried Continental & panaracer cinder, the Weirwolves out perform both and all the people I ride with have changed over as their tires wear out (or slip & slide on wet roots and rocks)

of course, if you pump them up too much they suck in wet conditions as do most others
    BTW isnt Calgary WEST coast?

Old School Steel!
    I do not race, but I do like to ride singletracks. I ride a rigid SS with Big Betty 2.4's on the front and Fat Alberts on the back. This set-up works well.

I like fat tires, because of the lack of suspension on my bike. I originally had this set-up in California.

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by wvbiker

Other tires you recommend?
    Cinder 2.3. Cheap, good volume, & good all arounder! Did I mention cheap?
    sth