mtbr member

Recommendation for rear XC hub please

I'm looking for a recommendation for a 32 hole, 135mm disk rear hub for a XC hardtail bike.

My first choice would be a DT Swiss 240 or 340, because I love the star ratchet mechanism.

The problem is I don't want to spend $300 for the DT Swiss hub for a bike I don't ride all that much.

Previously I have always used XT hubs on my XC bike, but I am tired of them only lasting a season or two.

Can anyone recommend a rear hub in maybe the $150-200 range that has very positive engagement and won't be disposable?

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was going to recommend 340 or 240. Or a Xt hub if the 2 first are too expensive.
    Personnaly, I would simply built a nice strong wheel with a 340. A wheel that you could use on some of your other bikes also.

Xt hub simply need maintenance to last. Once a month a least.

mtbr member
    OK, here is another way to ask my question I think......

.....what is one step down in quality, price and performance from a DT Swiss or a Chris King?

thanks

banned
    It's tough to beat the 240/340. While some fault them for their engagement points, there is no denying the simplicity, serviceability, and durability of this system. I have both a 240 and a 340.

I could see a step down being a Hope ProII, even though it goes up in engagement points and has proven to be durable and very easily serviced. So it's lateral, which I would say is a slight boost in performance, at a lower price.

mtbr member
    As JC has already mentioned, 240's or Hope Pro 2's. Both of which can typically be had for less than retail on eBay.
    I still love the Shimano hubs however. It's super easy to service (just a couple of cone wrenches once you get the cassette off) and some grease and rolls very smooth if properly adjusted.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I do love the 340 DT Swiss, as I have the 12 mm thru axle version on my Prophet MX1. While it doesn't have a gazillion engagement points, the star ratchet design from what I have experienced so far is the bomb.

I'll bet I won't be statisfied with anything less on my XC bike, but am sort of looking at lower level just because I have been spending all of my money on a Kawasaki 400 dual-sport motorcycle lately.

There was another popular thread on here about low-rent high-engagement hubs going, and I think I can find a lot of good info there, so I will be checking it out closely.

thanks