mtbr member

Recommend Me More Grip Than Conti Race Kings

Over the weekend, I upgraded my Niner EMD with Conti race kings 2.2 with a Stan's Crest wheelset. It's made my bike with a 2012 Reba RL dual air fork a sub 23 lbs bike, which is currently too much for me to handle as I had a bad accident because I lost grip a loose part of the trail. Tubeless set up was a dream- no issues at all, but if I am to survive my next outing on the bike after recovery, I am looking for a lightweight alternative to Race Kings.

It could be that I just need a new front tyre, as it was difficult to put the front end where I wanted it, so please feel free to suggest alternatives.

Are Race Kings on the rear still a good idea with a more grippy tyre up front, or should I replace both?

I'm open to your suggestions. I suppose the riding I do at Willow Springs, IL is a mix of hardpack and loose. Some grip in the wet or muddy conditions would be a good idea too.

Thanks in advance!
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My current combo is Rocket Ron front, Race King rear. Only a few rides on it, but good so far.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I went from Race Kings F/R last year to X-Kings F/R this year. So far so good!

Trail Prospector
    Only used the Race King as a rear, and put something with more grip up front for that exact reason... front wheel washouts are NO fun.
    I prefer big volume tires, so for a fast, lightweight XC, use a Ra-Ra 2.4, and when things are chunky an Ardent 2.4.
    Interested in the X-King 2.4, and am sending some healing vibes your way.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm adding the X-king recommendation. I like those tires a lot. Haven't used em on my 29er yet because I'm waiting for the 2.4 with black chili to finally be available. 2.2's are just too skinny. More like a 2.0. On my 26 though, the 2.4's I had were just awesome. Ran them front and rear.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    My current combo is Rocket Ron front, Race King rear. Only a few rides on it, but good so far.
    Same here.

Pre 2013 Ro Ro's front, Xking 2.2 racesport rear.Xking racesport also good compared to raceking on the front. Hard to beat the Race king on the rear if your after some cush for your hard tail. Ikon gives reasonable cush as an alternative.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 05-23-2013 at 01:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I like the X-King 2.4 race sport on front, with the Race King 2.2 on the rear. I have also ran the X-King 2.4 on the rear but to me it feels like it has less traction than the Race King 2.2 on the rear.

mtbr member
    Just about anything that isn't a road tire will be more grippy than a race king.
    To recommend a proper tire we'd need to know terrain and riding style at the very least.

mtbr member
    Pulled the plug on a 2.4 x king for the front. I'll get one for the rear if the back end slides out too much. Appreciate the comments guys!

Neil
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    I like the X-King 2.4 race sport on front, with the Race King 2.2 on the rear. I have also ran the X-King 2.4 on the rear but to me it feels like it has less traction than the Race King 2.2 on the rear.
    +1 on the X-King 2.4 front, Race King 2.2 rear. So far I'm very impressed with this combo as a balance of speed and traction on hardpack/dry trails. For wet muck, I'd definitely look elsewhere for a rear tire...

mtbr member
    Presently using a 2.4 X-King RaceSport both front and rear, but will probably go to a RaceKing 2.2 on the back. The RK has been the best tire for me ever. Takes for ever to wear out and at about 19/20lbs pressure (tubeless of course) on my hardtails have been quite comfy. I rarely ride in muddy conditions...

Formerly of Kent
    I have a couple of Strava KOMs and podiums in that area using a Rocket Ron front and Renegade rear.

Palos, like many places, is about knowing the right tire pressure to run for how you ride, and the terrain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner_Boy View Post
    Pulled the plug on a 2.4 x king for the front. I'll get one for the rear if the back end slides out too much. Appreciate the comments guys!

Neil
    I would have waited for the 2.4 xking racesports to come out in 29". Std xkings are super heavy and horrible hard plastic tread. There's much better tires out there at that weight.
    I rode a std xking 2.2 29er once and threw it away[ i didn't even consider it worth selling] yet the racesport version is one of my "go to" tires, front or rear.
    The 2.4 xking 26" racesports are one of my "go to" rear tires.Not grunty enough for me as a front tire.Would be great as a front in 29er.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    When I received Race Kings from mail order, I put back in box, sent back, and stopped being a weight weenie right then. Now I always run All mountain style tires tubeless and I am much more confident.