mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Rear tire upgrade recommendations for the Austrian Alps

My bike came with Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 SnakeSkin\TrailStar (front) and Rock Razor 2.35 SnakeSikn\PaceStar (rear). Its nice setup for dirt road climbs and flow trails, but since im riding in the Austrian Alps, as soon as the terrain becomes steep, technical with wet rocks, rots and mud its not cutting anymore for me…

The Hans Dampf in the front is ok for these conditions, but the Rock Razor, while its holding nice in corners, in these conditions feels to loose, special while braking for my liking… so its time to upgrade the tires to suit my needs.

For now, in the front i will put Magic Mary 2.35 SuperGravity\Soft, for the rear i’ll use the Hans Dampf im having from the front (still in good condition). I was thinking to go with Minion DHR II 2.4WT, but the LBS told me it won’t be good with my 25mm internal rim size, and when i saw the DHR II 2.3 in the shop it looks super narrow compared to my tires…

Other rear tires im considering (not sure which compound version) -
    - DHR II 2.4WT (again..) - some people says its plus minus the same size as Schwalbe 2.35 tires, if so, should i try it on my 25mm rim?
    - The new Hans Dampf 2.35 (if i’ll like the TrailStar version im having at the moment)
    - MTB 2.3 vigilante or 2.3 Breakout.

More recommendations for rear (and front) tries options\combinations are more then welcome,
    Tnx.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I just ordered a Vittoria 29x2.2 Gato to replace my rear tire.
    Not for the mud but for wet rocks and wet roots.
    Hopefully it will perform.
    I am not realy into speed, i enjoy climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    MM/HD should be a decent combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Finally i wend for a ride with the new tires, the 2.35 Magic Mary-addix soft-SuperGravity on the front and 2.35 Hans Dampf-SnakeSkin-TrailStar on the back, what a nice combo compare to the older HD front\RR rear combo. The only plus with the old setup compare to the new one is on climbs, with the HD\RR it was much more 'easy'... but what a huge difference once i started the descend part, all the issues i had before are gone, the endless grip this combo having is just insane, spacial on wet n' muddy conditions!

Still i would like to try DHF\DHR2 setup in the future, since many people raving about them, but so far im more then happy with the MM\HD...

Anytime. Anywhere.
    A 2.4 DHR 2 is very close in size to a 2.35 Schwalbe, and the 2.5 DHF is only slightly larger.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.