mtbr member
    May 2009

Rear tire suggestions to replace Ardent

I need to replace the 2.25 Ardent EXO. I was thinking of just going with another as it has held up well over the last year & does pretty good on all trail conditions I regularly ride so what other suggestions around the same width (a little wider is ok), rolls fast, with a reinforced sidewall & does well ghetto tubeless. I've got a Hans Dampf up front so def do not want another brand/model that could be wider than the HD.

I was thinking about the ProTection Trail King in 2.2; I sa w photo of a bike with'em front & back and they looked HUGE. Plus there seems to be people who have issues w/Conti tire with Stan's..

My local trails are a mix with loose rock sections but mostly hardpack that turns to dust in the summer. The Ardent does pretty good except when things are slick. I don't ride when it's very wet so that is not much of an issue.

Thanks!

no trees are safe
    You could try Michelin Wild Grip'r 2012 ( Wild Grip'r 2) Fast rolling, traction having tyre. Best tyres I''ve ever ridden. Go for the advanced version though.
    Another suggestion would be the Mountain King II protection... although thats more of a hard pack/ loose over hard pack tyre than rock specific.
    WTB Weirwolf is also a great allrounder tyre.

EDIT: What's your front tyre BTW?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm running the Schwalbe Hans Dampf upfront. I think I looked at the Wild Grip'r on Universal Cycles. Is it a very large 2.5? I don't see an Advance for the 2.2 size..

I like the high volume of the Ardent but because width varies, I didn't want to risk getting a 2.2 that is more like a 2.4! I use to run a 2.3 up front that I later found out was more like a 2.5 (compared to the Hans Dampf).

Also I ride rolling hills so have climbs every few minutes....

no trees are safe
    Michelin is quite accurate to their specifications when mounted on a rim. I have Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 2,25 and 2,1 and they're both larger than my old Bontrager 2,25's Which look slim for their sizing now.

Imho they're doing alright on climbs if you have a little skill and distribute the weight accordingly. I rarely skid, and I take climbs stomping off the saddle.

Universal Cycles -- Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced Tire

EDIT: Advanced version sticks a lot better in damp conditions and rocks due to different rubber compound. Basic version (Which I own) is alright in dry but SERIOUSLY dislikes wet roots and rocks. Just a little additional info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Michelin is quite accurate to their specifications when mounted on a rim. I have Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 2,25 and 2,1 and they're both larger than my old Bontrager 2,25's Which look slim for their sizing now.

Imho they're doing alright on climbs if you have a little skill and distribute the weight accordingly. I rarely skid, and I take climbs stomping off the saddle.

Universal Cycles -- Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced Tire

EDIT: Advanced version sticks a lot better in damp conditions and rocks due to different rubber compound. Basic version (Which I own) is alright in dry but SERIOUSLY dislikes wet roots and rocks. Just a little additional info.
    +1 on these tires. I have the advanced version of these tires and they are really nice. A bit smaller than the Continental Trail kings but lighter, with better rolling resistance and the same level of grip (if not more).

If you are running the Hans Dampf up front, you may want to try the 2.25 in the rear. The 2.1, is way too narrow.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think I'll try out a 2.25 Wild Grip'r. Just read a review on Pinkbike of that tire & it sounds like it would work for me. Plus the price is right as I'm trying to save $ for a few more upgrades this spring/summer. Thanks for the recommendation!

The PInkbike review said the 2.25 is more like a 2.1 but that'll probably be fine. Not sure of the 'true' width of the Ardent- outside of knobbie edge to opposite side does not look very wide & I'm not sure if that's how you measure the width?

no trees are safe
    post your impressions after you ride the tyre mate!

insert sarcasm here
    If for some reason you don't go with the Michelin, consider the Maxxis High Roller 2.35. It's not a true 2.35, so might be pretty similar to your Ardent.

As its name suggests, it rolls pretty well and has a very nice square edge for cornering. As a bonus, the folding version is only about 700 grams, and can be set up tubeless.

turtles make me hot
    I was running a Kenda Slant Six on the rear until just recently. All winter, my trails have been kinda wet and I was getting slippage climbing over rocks and roots. My front tire was a Tioga Psycho Genius. I love that tire but wanted something with slightly more volume up front so I put a Specialized Ground Control 2.35 up front and moved the Psycho to the rear. Almost never been happier.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    I think I'll try out a 2.25 Wild Grip'r. Just read a review on Pinkbike of that tire & it sounds like it would work for me. Plus the price is right as I'm trying to save $ for a few more upgrades this spring/summer. Thanks for the recommendation!

The PInkbike review said the 2.25 is more like a 2.1 but that'll probably be fine. Not sure of the 'true' width of the Ardent- outside of knobbie edge to opposite side does not look very wide & I'm not sure if that's how you measure the width?
    The 2.25 on 819 rims are ~60mm wide, which is closer to a 2.3 than a 2.1.

The Maxxis Highroller is another great suggestion. I ran the UST version as a rear tire and loved it. Fantastic ride with crazy grip. Even better than the Michelin. The only negative was much slower rolling resistance and about 300 grams heavier. But that does not have to be a bad thing, as the highroller is pretty bomb proof (in the UST version).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just ordered the 2.25 Michelin from Universal Cycles & after I mount n' ride, I'll post what I think.

I was considering the Holy Roller 2.35 but wasn't sure of the size. I'd rather keep a slightly smaller tire in the back. How is the HR on the front? The Hans Dampf will need replacing later int he year & definitely want another brand that is a little more affordable.

Thx for all the suggestions!

For rims, I run Atomlab Pimplite rims...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    I just ordered the 2.25 Michelin from Universal Cycles & after I mount n' ride, I'll post what I think.

I was considering the Holy Roller 2.35 but wasn't sure of the size. I'd rather keep a slightly smaller tire in the back. How is the HR on the front? The Hans Dampf will need replacing later int he year & definitely want another brand that is a little more affordable.

Thx for all the suggestions!

For rims, I run Atomlab Pimplite rims...
    The highrollers are a very narrow 2.35 tire. About the same as the Michelins, maybe even smaller.

With the Michelins, take some time and find your pressure. Take your time and you will be rewarded.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hi there!!

is the hans dampf 2.35 wider than the 2.2 trail king (rubber queen) UST?

mtbr member
    I would of suggested a double defense Nobby Nic 2.25. Fast but wear quick and expensive, but if you are running tubeless might be a good option to match up with the HD.