mtbr member
    May 2007

For rear tire, better alternative to 2.2" Race King protection?

area= texas: gravel, hardpack, short steeps with rocks, loamy soil

I like the idea of a fast-rolling rear tire even with my 2.4" mountain king protection on the front. Been using IRC Mythos mounted ghetto tubeless, but it is wearing down and is now time to upgrade.

The 2.2" RK protection seemed like an okay choice, but it uses a supposedly hard compound.

The tire will be mounted tubeless on ZTR355s. What other tires would be a good substitute?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've got a ztr355 rear. I've used Bonti XR Tubeless rear. Great tire. The XDX and XRI by Bonti are also light and fast rollers. All my bonti's measure about .1 to .2 inches narrower than listed at @30lbs. of pressure on the 355.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    schwalbe smart sam 2.25" or maybe the racing ralph 2.25"/2.4"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Schwalbe Smart Sam EVO 2009, 2.25. Superb rolling, perhaps most durable rear tire from Schwalbe, great grip, also in mud really good. Big volume, looks sexy. Im deep in love with em.

mtbr member
    After numerous combinations, I am quite satisfied so far with the Specialized Captain 2-Bliss Control as a rear tire (available in 2.0" or 2.2"). Mounted quite easily with a floor pump on both my Mavic Crossmax STs and Stan's Olympic. Very light as tubeless at 604 grams even though the Control series has a little added sidewall protection.

mtbr member
    i didnt know the rk 2.2 protection was available. who has them?