mtbr member
    May 2009

a rear match for Maxxis Ardent?

gonna go tubeless and i've narrowed down my front tire to a Maxxis Ardent. should i just run the same in back or is there a consensus match for the rear? if anything, i was considering the High Roller in the rear.

fwiw, i can fit a nevegal 2.35 but probably not anything bigger in the back. fox fork, so i can go larger up front.

Warrior's Society
    It looks like the HR will be a much slower rolling tire than the Ardent.

I just went through this. Needed a new back tire, so ordered a 2.3 HRII and a 2.35 Ikon. Already have a 2.4 Ardent up front. After seeing the HR in person, I chose to swap out the Ardent up front. HR just seems like too much tire out back. So I out the Ikon out back.

Have also run Ardent 2.4F/2.25R and it was a nice combination.

These were all on my Tallboy.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Put the Ardent in the back , hr or something with high grip up front .
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    oh. didn't realize the ardent was more of a rear. i always considered the "paddle" type treads to be in back. but that thinking may be outdated....

thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you really want to keep the Ardent on the front, for the rear try something like a Racing Ralph or Aspen.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nah. No preference really. Just getting educated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've run a ardent up front with an ikon in the back, felt fast and overall pretty good especially on wide rims with lower pressures. When I raced Downieville, I put the ardent in the back with a HR II up front. It's a heavy combo especially with the extra sidewall protection but a lot of fun... They've performed very good at low pressures on the Derby rims as well (running as low as 10% of riders weight +2 pounds in the rear, for rides that don't involve a lot of rock gardens)

n00b
    I have an Ardent 2.4 up front and an Ignitor 2.1 in the rear. It's pretty damn cool.

I'm with stupid
    I have run the ardent 2.25 up front and a cross mark and Larsen rear. Both are good fast combos. A maxxis advantage makes a great rear for the ardent.

LCW
    mtbr member

a rear match for Maxxis Ardent?

Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S View Post
    Put the Ardent in the back , hr or something with high grip up front .
    This is what I run - HR2 2.3 front / Ardent 2.25 rear. Good grip. Fast rolling.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
    oh. didn't realize the ardent was more of a rear. i always considered the "paddle" type treads to be in back. but that thinking may be outdated....

thanks.
    I just learned this about 2 weeks ago... riding buddy suggested swapping my tires around, put the Ardent 2.25 in the rear, Specialized Roller (older tire, looks a lot like the HR2...)2.35 up front. WOW. I need to build up more nerve to even get close to finding the limit on this setup, more traction than my skill level can push the limit of....
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just got a new set of Bontrager xr4 team issue 2.35 x 27.5, in lieu of my Ardent 2.25. I tried them both front and rear at the same time, way to much grip in the back for my taste. Then reverse back to Ardent 2.25 in back. I think i got my self a new favorite setup. Those Bonty hold and roll.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wouldn't run an Ardent up front. The 2.4 has a sketchy transition zone when leaning and the 2.25 has kind of weenie knobs for a front tire.

The 2.25 is a great rear tire though.

High Roller 2, Hans Dampf, or Minion up front with Ardent out back IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm no great rider, but I'm been running Ardent 2.4 in front and 2.25 Ardent in rear, both tubeless on my Light Bicycle rimmed wheels. They have been great for me.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    If you like grip and confidence, high roller II front and ardent rear(2.25).

If you want light weight and fastest rolling, then ardent front and ikon rear, or some of the others mentioned.

You want a lot of grip up front, unless you're blessed with riding on hero dirt all the time. Lose front grip and that often puts you on the ground immediately. No fun.

I use to ride a lot of light, no knob tires to feel fast. Lot's of falling...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you are going to run an Ardent up front you likely would want to run it front and rear.

I ran 2.25 Ardents on a Chromag Surface for close to a year, fast tires for coastal BC. Had a few sketchy crashes, switched to a 2.3 High Roller 2 3C TR up front. Really noticed the bike slow down with the HR2 up front. Eventually put a Specialized Purg 2.3 Control on the rear after the Ardent burnt off. Replaced the HR2 a few months ago with a Minion DHR2 2.3 3C TR.

Im contemplating a Magic Mary up front with the DHR2 out back for the winter.

TL;DR

HR=slow tire, bad rear tire choice. Better as a front tire