Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Rear hub: Hope Pro II vs. Bulb

I am about to buy a new set of wheels (DT 5.1. rims and DT competition spokes) and I am not certain which rear hub I should go for. The front hub will be the new Hope Pro II 20mm.

I am considering the Hope Bulb or the Hope Pro II. Does anyone have experience with the two hubs. What do you recommend?

Any info is appreciated

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i've got the bulbs and love them, but i've no experience with the pro ii hubs.

gimme friction
    I've got several rides on a Pro II rear hub, and I'm perfectly happy with it. 'Cept it's loud as a biznitch, but the Bulb is probably the same way. Actually, I like the noise, but it is rather loud.

From what little I know, the Bulb is just heavier-duty version of the Pro II.

I got the gun-metal gray, which is slightly purple in the sun...cool!

mtbr member
    Bulb has 36 points of engagement per rev. Pro II only has 24 points. Probably won't make a huge difference unless you ratchet a lot to clear your pedals over rough terrain or do a lot of pedal kicks to hop stuff on the trail.

The Pro II is lighter at around 300 g or so while the Bulb is a fairly average weight around 375 g IIRC. But it was built for more DH / FR abuse allegedly. I went with the Bulb in the end for more enagement and beef over weight shavings. I'm sure either would be fine for all-mountain.

Oh - and a few places like PricePoint still have inventory on the Bulb at clearance prices. Good deals to be had!

melon farmer
    The Bulbs also have a Ti cassette body, while the Pro IIs have a steel cassette body.

Despite this, the Pro IIs are still substantially lighter (as noted by earlier posts)..

mtbr member
    Isn't the Pro II cassette body made of aluminum alloy?

(meant as a repy to marcu's post...)

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-X
    Isn't the Pro II cassette body made of aluminum alloy?

(meant as a repy to marcu's post...)
    That's correct, ProII has an aluminum cassette body, Bulb has Ti, the XC has steel.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia
    I've got several rides on a Pro II rear hub, and I'm perfectly happy with it. 'Cept it's loud as a biznitch, but the Bulb is probably the same way. Actually, I like the noise, but it is rather loud.
    I'll second that. I run a Hope Pro II SS rear hub on my 29er. It's the loudest thing I've ever heard. I would say 2-3 times louder than a Chris King or Hadley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    I'll second that. I run a Hope Pro II SS rear hub on my 29er. It's the loudest thing I've ever heard. I would say 2-3 times louder than a Chris King or Hadley.
    Does the noise dissipate after a whilel?

Its got what plants crave
    Is it a really annoying noise, or just an audible click? Or is it more of a "whine" like a bunch of angry bees similar to Chris Kings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Is it a really annoying noise, or just an audible click? Or is it more of a "whine" like a bunch of angry bees similar to Chris Kings?
    It's similar to the whine of the Chris Kings - but louder. Maybe like a baseball card in your spokes?

Its got what plants crave
    I find the Kings to be annoying. Kinda sucks cuz I thought the Hopes might be good quality and an alternative to the Kings but I was hoping they would sound different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Hope XC rear

I have the hope XC rear... really like it. Not light by any means @ 385g, and the engagement is not as snappy as the bulbs, but it is significantly better (noticeable) over the XT it replaced. Pair that with replaceable sealed bearings, better (more durable cassette body), lots of cool colors to choose from, and only $129 and I would say you have a winner.

I just got a pair of 5.1d to Hope XC front and rear. The rim and hubs are both impressive.

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    It's similar to the whine of the Chris Kings - but louder. Maybe like a baseball card in your spokes?
    I'll second that - a friend who has a pair of Bulbs likens it to the sound of a fishing reel..

re - my earlier post and the steel/ti cassette body confusion - apologies - I was getting the XC and Pro II hubs confuzzled. The XC hub has a steel cassette body as standard, but has a ti option..
    Last edited by marcus_dukakis; 06-06-2006 at 03:47 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    you might want to look into Hadley Hubs....top notch company
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

gimme friction

Egg-zactly!

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_dukakis
    ...a friend who has a pair of Bulbs likens it to the sound of a fishing reel...
    That's the sound exactly! I knew I had heard a similar sound before, and that be it.

The sound might soften a bit over time, or you could perhaps shove some grease into the freehub mechanism to quiet it down.

But I think I'll just live with a loud-azz hub.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia
    ...or you could perhaps shove some grease into the freehub mechanism to quiet it down...
    Not a good idea. The grease can collect gunk and eventually cause the pawls to skip.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've got Pro IIs

I like them, have about 6 rides on them. They really roll fast, but they do buzz like a fishing reel. I fish so don't mind it. It is a slightly different tone from Kings tho.

mtbr member
    How does the XC sound compared to the Pro II and Bulb? (I have a set on order laced to DT swiss enduro 540s.) Is it as loud and buzzy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

enduro

that was my second choice over the 5.1d... unfortunately I didn't find anywhere that had all the parts I wanted and I ended up putting up the $$$ for the 5.1s (I was being pick on color... I figure if I do this dream bike thing only once, I might as well do it right.)

I have yet to get a solid enough ride on them to really evaluate them, but just freewheeling the spinning the rear wheel in the garage, there is def an audible (quite pleasant) sound. Def not in the same league as the "angry bee" king racket though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I bought the Hope Pro II and so far I am quite pleased with them and yes they are quite noisy but not in a bad way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k
    that was my second choice over the 5.1d... unfortunately I didn't find anywhere that had all the parts I wanted and I ended up putting up the $$$ for the 5.1s (I was being pick on color... I figure if I do this dream bike thing only once, I might as well do it right.)

I have yet to get a solid enough ride on them to really evaluate them, but just freewheeling the spinning the rear wheel in the garage, there is def an audible (quite pleasant) sound. Def not in the same league as the "angry bee" king racket though.
    I got mine from Chain Reaction Cycles for about $280. I haven't heard much at all about the enduros, so I'm hoping they work out well. I am not hard on rims, and they seemed to be a decent weight and width, so I think I'll be happy with 'em. One thing I couldn't find anywhere and forgot to ask CRC-- do you happen to know the valve type on this rim? I assume it's presta?
    Good to know about the sound. I'm not very finicky about drivetrain noise so I'm sure I'll be indifferent to it. I am looking forward to the quicker engagement, though. Especially compared to my current squeaky, worn-out, shimano hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I am assuminb presta...

my 5.1s are presta

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bulbs and XCs now 21 point engagement?

On Hope's website, it looks like they reduced the engagement points of the new Bulbs (previously 36) and XCs (previously 24) to 21 points with 3 pawls... Has any one received these "new" versions? I was about to get some bulbs, but now there does seem to be very much difference compared to the XCs...

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsF
    On Hope's website, it looks like they reduced the engagement points of the new Bulbs (previously 36) and XCs (previously 24) to 21 points with 3 pawls... Has any one received these "new" versions? I was about to get some bulbs, but now there does seem to be very much difference compared to the XCs...
    I think that's just a mistake on the website. I've never gotten any Bulbs in that were less than 36pt (and I've gotten some recently).

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast