Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Rear Hope Pro 2 hub thru-axle conversion

Just got a new frame and I'm looking to convert my Hope Pro 2 rear hub from QR to thru-axle.

Just trying to figure out if this is the right conversion kit, and which option I should choose, X12 or 12mm:
    wiggle.com | Hope Pro 2 Evo MTB Rear Wheel Axle Conversion Kit | Hub Spares

I'm new to the thru-axle word and busted out the calipers. The thru-axle diameter was pretty much at 12mm, but what is X12?

Also, the only conversion kits I could find had to be shipped from England, so that the shipping cost is pricey.

Any other gotchas or things I'm missing?

Thanks!

Unfit Norwegian
    I guess the "12mm thru kit" is 135x12mm. (There is a 150x12mm kit available as well) The X12 is 142x12.

("X12" is Syntace's name for that standard/their invention.)

You need to find out what spacing the rear dropouts in your frame has.

MTB B'dos
    When you "Broke out the calipers" did you also happen to measure the current slotted end caps that "drop into" the dropouts? I'm assuming not and since I'm feeling a nice guy I'm gona save you some time and money. You need the 10mm option end caps, not the 12mm if you have standard slotted drop outs. Would help if you listed the bike it was going on, but I think I'm safe in assuming it has 10mm slotted dropouts. X12 would be the end caps for the Syntace 12mm standard, which is different from standard 12mm bolt on drop outs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Do you have Pro 2 or Pro 2 Evo hubs? The Evo part is really important it you are looking at those replacement end caps. The older pre-Evo Pro 2 needs different parts as I believe the axle has to be replaced if going from a QR hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by countgrover View Post
    Just got a new frame and I'm looking to convert my Hope Pro 2 rear hub from QR to thru-axle.
    I) What Pro 2 do you have (Evo/old model?)
    II) What frame specifically do you have?

The standard 12mm kit is 135x12, whilst the X12 kit is 142x12. The Evo and old model have different fittings too, so it's important to know what you've got.

MTB B'dos
    Actually, it's only the REAR that uses different parts between the EVO and original, the front uses the same end caps - just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Do you have Pro 2 or Pro 2 Evo hubs? The Evo part is really important it you are looking at those replacement end caps. The older pre-Evo Pro 2 needs different parts as I believe the axle has to be replaced if going from a QR hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    I) What Pro 2 do you have (Evo/old model?)
    II) What frame specifically do you have?

The standard 12mm kit is 135x12, whilst the X12 kit is 142x12. The Evo and old model have different fittings too, so it's important to know what you've got.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the quick responses.

I have the Pro 2 hub, not the Evo.

The frame is the 2013 Blur XC Carbon. I didn't see specs on their website for the thru-axle.

The space between the dropouts is about 142mm, but this seems like it could be an measurement, since it gets smaller as you tighten the thru-axle.

@Lynx: I'm confused about what you're asking. There aren't any slotted end caps, just a 12mm hole and the derailleur hanger on the other side.

mtbr member
    Okay, for that hub and frame you need this axle kit:

Hope Conversion Kits Pro 2 X12 Rear | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I couldn't find the correct part on Wiggle, they seemed to have everything except 142x12mm for the old Pro 2.

You'll see 142x12mm (what your Blur has) referred to as X-12 a lot as the company that came up with it (Syntace) market it as X-12.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks, I'll order it the evening. Just glad that the hub can be converted to thru-axle.

MTB B'dos
    Specs are right there 142x12 on the site, so you need the 142x12mm end caps for the Pro2, not the Pro2 EVO, they are not inter-changeable, which AFAIK are what they refer to as the X12 set.
    Quote Originally Posted by countgrover View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses.

I have the Pro 2 hub, not the Evo.

The frame is the 2013 Blur XC Carbon. I didn't see specs on their website for the thru-axle.

The space between the dropouts is about 142mm, but this seems like it could be an measurement, since it gets smaller as you tighten the thru-axle.

@Lynx: I'm confused about what you're asking. There aren't any slotted end caps, just a 12mm hole and the derailleur hanger on the other side.
    Last edited by LyNx; 04-02-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    not the Pro2 EVO, they are not inter-changeable, which AFAIK are what they refer to as the X12 set.
    FYI. I just swapped my EVO hub to 12x142, and used what they called the X12 kit for the EVO hub. (which was just the endcaps, cause of the EVO hub design) - so Hope uses "X12" to describe their 12x142mm conversions.

to my understanding the only difference between the syntace X12 setup and something like the RockShox Maxle is that X12 used a convex interface where the non-drive side of the thruaxle interfaces with the dropout. Inner spacing between dropouts and axle diameter is the same. If you have an X12 frame, you use the syntace axle, if you have a Maxle frame you use the RS/formula/other maxle clone axle.

MTB B'dos
    Standard 12mm is normally either 135mm or 150mm wide, not 142mm, this is new, started by Syntace, hence the "X" monicur to differentiate it from standard 135x12.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    FYI. I just swapped my EVO hub to 12x142, and used what they called the X12 kit for the EVO hub. (which was just the endcaps, cause of the EVO hub design) - so Hope uses "X12" to describe their 12x142mm conversions.

to my understanding the only difference between the syntace X12 setup and something like the RockShox Maxle is that X12 used a convex interface where the non-drive side of the thruaxle interfaces with the dropout. Inner spacing between dropouts and axle diameter is the same. If you have an X12 frame, you use the syntace axle, if you have a Maxle frame you use the RS/formula/other maxle clone axle.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Unfit Norwegian
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Hope uses "X12" to describe their 12x142mm conversions.
    Yes. As I said, X12 is what Syntace (they "invented" it) call the 142x12 standard. ...But it's an open standard, so anyone can use/build parts for it. The "X12" name came before everyone started calling it (more logically) 142x12. I guess Hope was just on the ball early.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks everyone, question answered!

mtbr member
    Try this Pro 2 - Hope Pro 2 Front and Rear Exlpoded View

Call her for parts 1-800-303-6863
    They are in Texas
    Good Luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi, I just went to change out my pro 2 evo rear from QR to X12 and when I went to pop the freehub on, it didn't fit at all. I didn't measure but I would guess at least 1-2mm gap between the bearings and axle.
    I got both from CRC, just trying to figure out where it went wrong.
    Is there a difference between the regular and evo in bearing size of the free hub?

I was hoping to be able to swap the new wheels between a 12' stumpy 29' expert fsr and a 13' 29" carve

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwenric View Post
    Is there a difference between the regular and evo in bearing size of the free hub?
    Yes. The EVO axle is larger.
    Sounds like you bought the regular kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwenric View Post
    Hi, I just went to change out my pro 2 evo rear from QR to X12 and when I went to pop the freehub on, it didn't fit at all. I didn't measure but I would guess at least 1-2mm gap between the bearings and axle.
    If the conversion kit you bought has a new axle in it then it's for the old Pro 2.

The Evo uses press on end caps like the front hub, you don't need to remove the freehub body or the main axle to fit them.

Hope Pro 2 Evo Rear Hub Conversion Kit

It's the X12 Thro option here, if that's what you ordered CRC sent you the wrong bit. If you ordered the wrong bit then nevermind.

Either way, clean it, put it back in the blister and start filling out that returns form!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If the conversion kit you bought has a new axle in it then it's for the old Pro 2.

The Evo uses press on end caps like the front hub, you don't need to remove the freehub body or the main axle to fit them.

Hope Pro 2 Evo Rear Hub Conversion Kit

It's the X12 Thro option here, if that's what you ordered CRC sent you the wrong bit. If you ordered the wrong bit then nevermind.

Either way, clean it, put it back in the blister and start filling out that returns form!
    ditto - changing the Evo hub out to X12 is a 30-second affair, and removing freehub/cassette bodies/axles/bearings is not required.

I'll be working with my wheels this afternoon if you want a couple of pics, although several links have been posted in the thread already.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys, thats good news. I really wasn't looking fwd to pulling the axle every time the wheels were swapped.
    I'll order up the end caps and if anyone wants an axle...

mtbr member
    For converting a hope pro II (non EVO version) do I need just the axle (x12 for 142x12) or do I need new bearings and end caps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    For converting a hope pro II (non EVO version) do I need just the axle (x12 for 142x12) or do I need new bearings and end caps?
    For the old Pro 2 you need both axle and end caps, but you don't need to change any bearings.

If you buy the conversion kit from Hope, it comes with the new axle and new end caps in one package (there's a link to it in post #8).

mtbr member
    For the old Pro 2 you need both axle and end caps, but you don't need to change any bearings.

If you buy the conversion kit from Hope, it comes with the new axle and new end caps in one package (there's a link to it in post #8).
    Perfect, Thanks much!

mtbr member
    You can get them from Universal Cycle in Portland, or any of their other stores.
    Universal Cycles -- Hope Hub Conversion Kits

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    sorry for digging this up but, i have a pro 2 (non evo), 135mm qr. to conver and fit into a frame with syntace x-12 142mm thru.

what is confusing is there's 2 options listed, on the hope website, and even on CRC

Hope Pro 2 Conversion Kits 12mm Thru Rear | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Hope Pro 2 Conversion Kit X12 Rear | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Help?
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast