mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Really basic tubeless question

I tried using the search function but couldn't find an answer to this specific question:

I am thinking about going tubeless. I have tubeless-ready rims (DT Swiss 485D) and tubeless-ready tires (Specialized "The Captain" 2Bliss). At a minimum it seems that I need a tubeless valve stem and perhaps a different rim strip. I know how to seat a tire bead using soapy water.

So here's the question: Do I also need to use sealant (Stans, etc.)?

In reading about sealant it is not clear to me if this is only for converting non-tubeless components, or if I need it for my application as well.

Warrior's Society
    You don't have to use sealant...even on tubeless tires...but what happens if you get a puncture?

So yes, use one of the sealants on any tubeless set up.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I see. So the sealant prevents flats? It self-seals a puncture, or do I need to carry spare sealant with my flat repair kit?

mtbr member
    The sealant will help prevent flats, but if the hole is too big it won't help you. You don't need to carry sealant in your flat repair kit, just make sure you carry a tube with you. You'll also need to refresh (add) more sealent to the tire every few months.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Great, thank you!

MarkyMark
    Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    So here's the question: Do I also need to use sealant (Stans, etc.)?
    Some tubeless compatible tires I've mounted (e.g., WTB Bronsons) have microscopic holes in their sidewalls. You need sealant or they won't hold air.

I've never had to use sealant on UST tires, but I do so anyways to avoid flats from goathead thorns.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    Do I also need to use sealant (Stans, etc.)?

In reading about sealant it is not clear to me if this is only for converting non-tubeless components, or if I need it for my application as well.
    2Bliss tires are designed and intended for use with sealant. They may or may not hold air without it.
    It is incorrect to assume that a tubeless ready tire only needs sealant for puncture protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    I have not kept up with all the details of DT Swiss rims, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been under the impression that they (DT Swiss) do not make tubeless rims. Rather they make conversion kits similar to Stan's which require a rim strip to cover/seal spoke holes. I would say that any rim requiring a conversion strip requires sealant.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I have not kept up with all the details of DT Swiss rims, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been under the impression that they (DT Swiss) do not make tubeless rims. Rather they make conversion kits similar to Stan's which require a rim strip to cover/seal spoke holes. I would say that any rim requiring a conversion strip requires sealant.
    The requirement for sealant is about the tire construction, not the rim strip. Rim strips have been known and demonstrated to provide an air-tight seal (even certified UST status) without the use of sealant.

mtbr member
    It takes serious damage to the tire to stop the ride when you use sealant. Check out the demo videos here: Help Center

Cow Clicker
    Also, didn't know UST rims used rim strips.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Also, didn't know UST rims used rim strips.
    They can and have in the past.
    It's just up to Mavic what they want to do. You can use the specs to build a UST rim, but you can't use the name or UST logo without Mavic's approval.