Lets RIDE!

Rampage SC 2.35, XC717, stans kit?

Panaracer Rampage SC 2.35 tires
    Mavic XC717 rims
    Stan's tubeless kit (probably with one of the stans/slime/latex homebrew sealant recipes)

What do you think....is this combo OK? I was wondering if the rim was too narrow for the 2.35, but I've read in other threads that the Rampage runs a little small.

Thanks.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

Unfit Norwegian
    The rims will work just fine with the tires. Yes, the Rampage SC's are pretty small for their claimed size.

mtbr member
    they're not that small.. bigger than a nevegal 2.1, bigger than an ignitor 2.35. its just a little under its rated size.

i run them on a 28mm rim, probably 21mm inner diameter and its perfect. i ran the older rampage 2.35's on 30mm rims and it rode very well too. tire feel on a rim is subjective, and on paper that tire might be fine on that rim, but its going to ride sloppy.

id definitely not do it.. fwiw, i sold my xm719 for wider rims to run rampages.

i am however, just thrilled with the new rampage 2.35 SC its my new favorite front tire. if you like how nevegals ride, you'll love rampages. its basically a nev that actually rolls well.

Unfit Norwegian
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    they're not that small.. bigger than a nevegal 2.1
    Yeah, they actually are. I should think a 2.35" tire ought to be bigger than a 2.1", btw.

id definitely not do it..
    Why is that, exactly? Sure. Wider rims hold big tires more steady, but it will work fine with 717 discs as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have run a 2.35 Nev on a XC717 tubeless. Looking back on it now it was probably a horrible idea. The XC717 does not hold a strong bead without a tube in it and would be prone to burping. Do it at your own risk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    I should think a 2.35" tire ought to be bigger than a 2.1", btw.
    it is bigger. a lot of 2.35's are smaller than nev 2.1's, its an easy reference. the rampage is bigger than a lot of 2.35's out there. shiggy measured out the rampage tread width at 2.39 anyway. its really not that small of a tire.
    Why is that, exactly? Sure. Wider rims hold big tires more steady, but it will work fine with 717 discs as well.
    running 45psi in any mountain tire will work fine too.. thats kind of what im saying.. its beyond not ideal. its not like it'll make you crash or anything. a smaller tire might even hold a line better since its not squirreling all over the place. you'd have to run pressures pretty high to keep the tire from folding over.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    The Rampage is my favorite tire......they just work for the trails I ride. I started running them on XM 819, Stans ARCH and now Blunts. I have a set of 717s that I fitted with Rampages for my HT. They worked fine but look a little bulbus. I think if you were to run to low air pressure they might roll off the bead. I'm now running a 2.1 tire on the 717 wheel set. But I would give it a try to see how it works for you.

Unfit Norwegian
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    it is bigger. a lot of 2.35's are smaller than nev 2.1's, its an easy reference. the rampage is bigger than a lot of 2.35's out there. shiggy measured out the rampage tread width at 2.39 anyway. its really not that small of a tire.
    Well, compared to the tires i wanted to replace with them, Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 (real 2.4"), they're puny.

On 23mm (internal width) Flows, I measured the Rampage SC thread to 57mm ( 2.24") and the casing to 52mm (2.05"). I don't remember how tall the tire was, but not very. That's a pretty low volume for a 2.35" sticky trail tire in 2010.

Lets RIDE!
    Burp flatting is what I was worried about with the narrow rim. But if I can't run them at low pressures, why bother....I mean, that's half the point of going tubeless right? I have no experience yet with tubeless. I've been running 2.25 Mibros (with tubes) at 35psi, but I guess they're generally considered to be undersized. Maybe I'll just throw on the new pair of Fire XC 2.1s I have lying around here somewhere and try them with the stans kit before I consider upsizing. lacing on new rims is definitely not in the budget for this season.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.