mtbr member

Racing Ralph 29" vs Mountain King 29"

These are widely considered the top XC/Trail 29 inch tires on the market.. Let's discuss the different widths and options (snakeskin, supersonic etc) along with weights, volumes, usages and so on..

I'm currently running 2.25 RR's on my C29ssmax rims and love them. They run super fast and soak up the small bumps a bit. Thinking about trying out some mountain kings when these wear down.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by scralatchtica824
    These are widely considered the top XC/Trail 29 inch tires on the market.. Let's discuss the different widths and options (snakeskin, supersonic etc) along with weights, volumes, usages and so on..

I'm currently running 2.25 RR's on my C29ssmax rims and love them. They run super fast and soak up the small bumps a bit. Thinking about trying out some mountain kings when these wear down.
    Depends on local conditions and riding style. We are blessed with many good 29" tires right now and more are in the works.

Conti does not offer Supersonic 29er tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Any others out there with experience with these 2 tires? I'm sure there are some of you somewhere..

mtbr member
    test
    2009 Fisher Paragon
    XT Cranks, C29ssmax's, PG-990 11-34
    2.25 Racing Ralphs tubeless via Stans
    Truativ NOIR Carbon Riser

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    test
    What this forum really needs is everyone bumping their thread to the top of the board twice a day. Thanks

mtbr member
    Any others out there with experience with these 2 tires? I'm sure there are some of you somewhere..
    OK, I'll bite. I used Mountain King 29x2.4 in April and May, when the terrain was wetter. MK 2.4 is a very good general purpose tire. It is wide enough and rolls ok. The grips is also generally quite good. The sidewalls have been strong enough.

Two weeks ago I switched to the Racing Ralph 29x2.25. The width and air volume is quite similar to that of the MK. The weight is about 180 g lower. The first thing I noticed was that it rolls incredibly well. It is in a totally different league than the MK. The grip is good in enough in dry terrain, but quite bad when it gets wet. Last year I tore the sidewalls of Racing Ralph several times, and I expect the same to happen now. There is a version of Racing Ralph on the way with SnakeSkin walls, which should solve this problem.

My terrain is fairly varying with slow technical parts, root infested trails, bare rock and some faster sections as well. I generally use about 1.8 bar pressure in the front and just under 2 bar in the back tire.

mtbr member

can you translate Bar to PSI for me please. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider

My terrain is fairly varying with slow technical parts, root infested trails, bare rock and some faster sections as well. I generally use about 1.8 bar pressure in the front and just under 2 bar in the back tire.
    Also are you using tubeless ready rims and goop or tubes.?

Never trust a fart
    1 bar = 14.6 psi

1.8 bar = roughly 27psi

mtbr member

I was curious because I am running my RR 2.4 at 20psi

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    1 bar = 14.6 psi

1.8 bar = roughly 27psi
    that is with ZTR 355 rims and stans sealant. I was thinking of going lower but don't want to end up with a dented rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank
    Also are you using tubeless ready rims and goop or tubes.?
    I'm using tubes on Bontrager Rhythm rims (28 mm wide), which actually are tubeless ready. I could probably use a slightly lower pressure if I wanted, since I rarely get snakebites.