mtbr member

Racing Ralph 2.4 or Specialized Fast Track 2.0 for racing? 29er

Well this kinda sucks, yesterday I had a race and rode on Specialized S works Renegade on the rear and Racing Ralph 2.25 on the front, performed great but once I got home found the Racing Ralph leaking from a sidewall, that just sucks because I have an endurance XC race in a couple of weeks.

A month ago one my 2.4 Racing Ralph exploded and got a warranty replacement from Schwalbe so I got one brand new, how much difference in terms of rolling resistance would I expect coming from the 2.25 at front?

The other option is to get a 2.0 Fast Track Control but I'm not quite sure, never tried em but heard great comments

I'm keeping the Renegade on the rear, great tire even when I'm carefully choosing lines because of the thin sidewalls

So bottomline, should I

a) Get a Fast Track Control 29x2.0
    b) Mount the Wide 2.4 Racing Ralph

Thnx
    Cube LTD PRO
    Niner EMD
    Trek Fuel EX 8
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Or C)fast track sworks 2.2

Why put a spesh control on front if you are happily running s-works on rear?
    Also why not consider the wider fast track?

IMHO >>choice between sworks fast track 2.2 and your 2.4 RR
    One you own, one you have to go buy.
    Your call!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Or depending on why its leaking which you dont mention fixing the RR 2.25 might be option too

mtbr member
    Definetely I'd rather having my 2.25 RR up front since weight/grip is pretty good, I am not willing to take the risk of running a 12 hr XC race on a repaired tire though.

My biggest concern on S works tires are the thin sidewalls that is why I'm leaning toward Control ones, a 2.2 Fast Track Control would do the trick too.

I know how reliable and comfy can the 2.4 RR be up front, I'm worried about the rolling resistance penalty that a 2.4 tire implies.

On the other part I've read somewhere that Racing Ralph's had less rolling resistance than Renegades, my 2.4 RR is a EVO version by the way.

Thnx for the input
    Cube LTD PRO
    Niner EMD
    Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    So I went to my LBS just to realize my 2.4 RR is not that heavy, it's actually lighter than the damaged 2.25 RR

2.4 Brand new

Fast Track Control 29x2.0

Since the race is gonna be endurance I'm gonna keep the 2.4 RR at front, the large volume it holds might help me out a bit, I was all over the Fast Track but since I already got the 2.4 rather spend the money in something else
    Cube LTD PRO
    Niner EMD
    Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    I'm kind of surprised you cut a front RaRa but haven't had a problem with an S-Works rear tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I'm kind of surprised you cut a front RaRa but haven't had a problem with an S-Works rear tire.
    That's maybe because my S works is next to new, this was actually my second ride on it

I'm still surprised about what happened to my RaRa, it's a shame because is the best tire I've ever had... After the race I still rode a couple of blocks and had a couple of beers to chill, then I still rode to my truck just fine.

But on my drive home (80 miles away) I just left the front rim next to my bike and once I made it home found the tire airless

Pumped some air into and found damaged sidewalls... I don't now it might got damaged on the ride home

Today I'm nightriding the track, it's funny how the bike sits with 1.95 on the rear and 2.4 on the front
    Cube LTD PRO
    Niner EMD
    Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    I'm worried about the rolling resistance penalty that a 2.4 tire implies
    There is no penalty, actually as soon as you go offroad, bigger tires roll better.
    Google ‹bersetzer

So, what were your racing experiences? Which tires have you actually ridden?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzist View Post
    There is no penalty, actually as soon as you go offroad, bigger tires roll better.
    Google ‹bersetzer

So, what were your racing experiences? Which tires have you actually ridden?
    You picked a strange 1 year-old thread to launch this missile. Why not start a whole new thread with a synopsis of that article instead?

NedwannaB
    You picked a strange 1 year-old thread to launch this missile. Why not start a whole new thread with a synopsis of that article instead?
    Agreed. Strange. 1.95 SWorks Renegade and a 2.4 combo did seem....different. OP worried about running a repaired tire in a 12hr, yet skimped on the back protection.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Was just looking for some information about the Fast Trak.
    The articel about resistance is already at some years old, I thought this was common knowledge. As I am no frequent visitor to mtbr I am not acquainted with intersting or boring topics. At least in Germany this topic is considered "through", meaning discussed numerous times and actually quite uninteresting. Still, if you think it worthwhile, tell me.

Test:
    Comparison of Schwalbe Fast Fred, Racing Ralph, Albert Brothers at 1,5/2,0/3,0/4,0 bar on road, gravel, meadow.
    350 test rides at 9,5 km/h with power meter.
    Findings:
    Less air pressure reduces rolling resistance at rougher surfaces.
    Broader tires reduce rolling resistance at rougher surfaces. This is a far higher effect than the extra energy needed due to more weight of broader tires.
    Most significant difference: 50 Watt on meadow (1,5 bar 62 mm width (low resistance) versus 4 bar, 54mm (high resistance))

mtbr member
    Germans seem to have a thing for that... I've read several popular road bike rolling resistance tests were also done by German magazines.

They concluded something very similar - 700x25 rolls a little better than 700x23, which in turn rolls a lot better than 700x20.

But with MTB tires, the tread is everything for rolling resistance. Some very aggressive tires roll well, sand some tires that look like they would be fast are actually not.

So, again, I'm not surprised by the tire width issue.

mtbr member
    I had a situation that was oddly similar to yours. I actually used to run RaRa 2.4's front and rear on my single speed and I really liked it. Then I got a puncture in the sidewall super close to the bead so it wouldn't seal up any more. I was sure I was never gunna find another tire I'd like as much as my RaRa but my shop had a LIGHTLY used fast trak collecting dust in the corner so I grabbed that and and set it up. I took it out later that day and LOVED it! Great rear tire! I was pretty happy with my FastTrak rear / RaRa front set up. I highly recommend it! I just finished my new wheelset (240S/ DT Revo / Stan's Arch EX) and I just got a brand new Fast Track 2.2 and I'm gunna put a Ground Control 2.3 up front and see how I like. I'm always happy to test new tires. Unforntunately my teeny 3 gallon compressor just cant put out the volume needed to set my wheels up tubeless so I'll have to take em to the shop tomorrow.
    Nature never said one thing, and wisdom another...

NedwannaB

Same thinking here

Quote Originally Posted by austinTRON View Post
    shop had a LIGHTLY used fast trak collecting dust in the corner so I grabbed that and and set it up. I took it out later that day and LOVED it! Great rear tire! I was pretty happy with my FastTrak rear / RaRa front set up. I highly recommend it! I just got a brand new Fast Track 2.2 and I'm gunna put a Ground Control 2.3 up front and see how I like. I'm always happy to test new tires.
    Was looking at the 2.2 FastTrak Controls myself. I have a SWorks GC up front, SWorks 2.0 FT in back now. I may get the FT Control version up front. I'll probably keep my SWorks 2.0 on back until it wears then go with a 2.2 back there aswell.
    Last edited by JMac47; 08-02-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Was looking at the 2.2 FastTrak Controls myself. I have a SWorks GC up front, SWorks 2.0 FT in back now. I may get the FT Control version up front. I'll probably keep my SWorks 2.0 on back until it wears then go with a 2.2 back there aswell.
    Indeed, specialized tires are completely underrated although they are among the best tires on the market. And definitely better than the overpriced Schwalbe.

On our last MTB tour in a larger group in the Alps I ran the Ground Control 2.3 rear and Purgatory 2.2 front. Never had any issue in the rocky trail parts, endless grip and no problems in wet areas.
    Schwalbe on the contrary blew it. We had 3 stops due to patching defective Nobby Nics and Racing Ralphs.
    Although the Schwalbe tires in tests in German magazines always end up as contest winners I even rolled down the street faster than the Nobby Nics, no pedaling, same tire pressure, same initial speed.

The Fast Track is indeed my favorite XC tire. Almost as supple as the Rocket Ron but much sturdier and much better casing.

Someone at MTBR wrote that Maxxis is manfacturing the Specialized tires. Is that correct? it would explain the good performance.

NedwannaB
    Finally got a 2.2 Fast Track in back if my 29r. Soo much more comfy than 2.0 Sworks and feels as fast. Will be putting a purg on back if my B6r trail bike when current tire wears. Waiting for Spec to start offering 27.5's!

mtbr member
    Well fast forward to the race I ended up racing the Fast Trak and held great, comfortable enough for a 12 hr XC race.

My two personal favorites are Renegade S works 1.95 and Racing Ralph EVO 2.1, in paper there's width difference but not so much once they're mounted in, I find both tires fast and grippy enough for my practice
    Cube LTD PRO
    Niner EMD
    Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    No doubt. But Id throw in the suggestion not to start a new thread based on an article from 2005 that we've all seen a million times already.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

Old man
    Quote Originally Posted by MucPaul View Post
    ..........I even rolled down the street faster than the Nobby Nics, no pedaling, same tire pressure, same initial speed.
    What hubs, what rims, what spokes... there are many variables to account for before one can assume the cause of you rolling faster is because of the tires.

Old man
    Thanks for the update. I, for one, don't really care how old a thread is. Information is not perishable.