mtbr member

Race King supersonic 2.0 or 2.2

Wish it came in 2.1 also. For fire trails non racing mainly hill climbing which size to buy ? 155 lb rider on Ti lynskey 26' SS'er. Currently running 2.1 smoke and dart folding at 570g and 599g. I guess one of each would work also ?
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Go with the 2.2 RK SS. My experience with them has been very good on hardpack, roots, loam, and some sticky mud. They are not good in loose sloppy mud.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OLx6
    Go with the 2.2 RK SS. My experience with them has been very good on hardpack, roots, loam, and some sticky mud. They are not good in loose sloppy mud.
    Thanks ! My riding/racing buddy.... runs the RK SS 2.0 for racing and says the SS race kings will be the best tires I ever use. I just hope the wideness/traction of the 2.2 doesn't slow me down. I like some cush on way down as my ride is a rigid ss'er. Maybe a bit safer also !

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    2.2 gets my vote too. They're very fast tires, including on pavement, and have decent volume so you don't have to overdo the pressure. I've had good results using ~125-gram lightweight tubes in them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Use the biggest one that will fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clark
    Use the biggest one that will fit.
    Bigger is or at least looks better! I still lose almost 1/2 lb or 210g's of rotational weight with the 2.2 race kings over the heavier smoke 599g and dart 570g 2.1's on the bike now.

mtbr member

RK SS 2.2 on the way

I have the 2.2's ordered and can't wait. My buddy races cat 2 on the SS 2.0's and say's another racer who podium's regularly uses the RK ss 2.2 front and rear. Looks like you either love them or hate them according to some reviews including mtbr. I'm easy on things and will be running "lunar light" tubes in them. Learned a bunch hanging out in this forum for a bit. Thanks guys !

ups and downs
    One thing to keep in mind with a big volume tire like the RK 2.2 is that you will likely want to run about 4-5psi less pressure than you would have with your Dart/Smoke tires. And they have a fairly narrow range of optimum pressure for a given rider weight, in the range of 3-4 psi between too low and too high.

With tubes you should try running them just low enough that the rear tire doesn't squirm when cornering (you will be able to tell instantly), that will give you the best advantage in terms of the tire conforming to the terrain without being bouncy.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    One thing to keep in mind with a big volume tire like the RK 2.2 is that you will likely want to run about 4-5psi less pressure than you would have with your Dart/Smoke tires. And they have a fairly narrow range of optimum pressure for a given rider weight, in the range of 3-4 psi between too low and too high.

With tubes you should try running them just low enough that the rear tire doesn't squirm when cornering (you will be able to tell instantly), that will give you the best advantage in terms of the tire conforming to the terrain without being bouncy.
    Thanks for that ! I am a 155 lb rider on a sub 18lb Ti rigid SS'er and my last question would be the psi sweet spot for those 2.2's ? I run the smoke and dart pretty low to where you can see the tire sag a bit. Drives my buddy crazy as he runs his way high thinking it will be faster. Is there a cheap and dirty tire gauge I should buy ? I use the hand squeeze method.

ups and downs
    I'm about 200 pounds and run them at 27-28psi, that seems to be a good balance between hard and soft, but if they get down below 25psi they are very squirmy (they have a very thin carcass) and if they are above 30psi they get really bouncy. If they get too soft it also becomes easier to whack the rim on square edge rocks and roots and risk a pinch flat.

So you'd maybe start around 24psi and ride them to see how they feel, and just lower them a bit at a time until they feel squirmy (like you've got a flat tire) and then go back up a bit until the squirm goes away. If you're running 17mm wide XC style rims, the squirm will be apparent right away. If you're using wider rims you could go a bit lower before the squirm becomes uncomfortable.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal
    Thanks ! My riding/racing buddy.... runs the RK SS 2.0 for racing and says the SS race kings will be the best tires I ever use. I just hope the wideness/traction of the 2.2 doesn't slow me down. I like some cush on way down as my ride is a rigid ss'er. Maybe a bit safer also !
    There is nothing remotely slow about the 2.2. If your frame fits it, I can't see a good reason to not go with the 2.2. Play with lower pressures, that is when the real beauty of this tire comes through. The casing is incredible supple, so it still rolls fast at lower pressure, and the ride is very smooth.

I find that at the right pressure it has really good drive traction, and is among the best tires on wet surfaces I have ridden (assuming it is Black Chili, which the 2.2 Supersonic is).

However, I found cornering on anything that was not a clean surface to be pretty lousy. I will run it on the rear if I am not to concerned with really aggressive cornering, but I can't ever see running up front for strict dirt use.

It is also has paper thin sidewalls. Largely due to this, it has become a "special day" (like a race) tire for me.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Looks like these tires are gonna be fun. I better not get too rowdy! My health ins. is already kinda high ! When I went from IRC mythos 1.95's to the smoke and dart 2.1's my buds were wondering why I got faster on the downhills...... I told them it was the snow shoes/smoke/darts. My buddy says he thinks the RK ss 2.2's he saw on his fellow racer's bike were no wider than my very close to 2 inches wide 2.1 smoke/dart set up. I said come on man...got to be a 1/16th wider ?

ups and downs
    Some tracks from my ride on Friday in muddy/wet conditions. They don't do well in greasy mud, but they do very well on wet roots and rocks and the wet compost mud we have here. If you can keep the front end pointed where it needs to go, the tire has the traction to keep the bike moving forward in these conditions.

The RK 2.2's measure 54.5mm across the carcass, some tires might have wider knob width measurements, but these are very big carcasses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race King supersonic 2.0 or 2.2-2011_0514new0101.jpg  

Race King supersonic 2.0 or 2.2-2011_0514new0061.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Some tracks from my ride on Friday in muddy/wet conditions. They don't do well in greasy mud, but they do very well on wet roots and rocks and the wet compost mud we have here. If you can keep the front end pointed where it needs to go, the tire has the traction to keep the bike moving forward in these conditions.

The RK 2.2's measure 54.5mm across the carcass, some tires might have wider knob width measurements, but these are very big carcasses.
    Looks like about 1/8 th of an inch or aprox 3.5 mm wider. They are gonna be soooooo perfect. I'm in the bay area with not much weather at all unlike Canada. Tell the Canucks to be nice to our Sharks tonight ! Surprised you are having luck with the RK'S in that muck !

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal
    Surprised you are having luck with the RK'S in that muck !
    That's because his mud is composed of little bits of leafs and twigs and easily falls off the tire. The mud we have is more clay-like and peanut-butter-like in consistency and sticks to tires more. The RK will suck in our type of mud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just a side question: in which direction should you install these at the rear?
    The "arrow" in the middle of the tire pointing forward or backward?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    That's because his mud is composed of little bits of leafs and twigs and easily falls off the tire. The mud we have is more clay-like and peanut-butter-like in consistency and sticks to tires more. The RK will suck in our type of mud.
    What mud....we don't even really have weather in the bay area ! OK a little rain once in awhile but now it's time for the good weather gear. For 105 dollars this should be the best all round expenditure on my SS'er. Killer RK tires ..... losing the smoke/dart and coming down in weight from 17.81 to 17.35 lbs. Nobody will believe the weight with those beefy 2.2's on it. Just sayin ! Man....Porkstacker is really gonna get jealous now when he see's it !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevorken
    Just a side question: in which direction should you install these at the rear?
    The "arrow" in the middle of the tire pointing forward or backward?
    OK.....I know your messin with me but first you wear the rear tire out arrow pointing forward to handlebars....then when the tire wears and you slide out on hills you point the arrow bassakwards towards your slow riding buddys back downhill ! When I had my lbs set up my Klein for SS I picked it up and the mech said he mounted the IRC backwards on purpose. No lie. That's where I got the wear it out on both sides deal.

mtbr member

2.2 race king supersonics

Took the new set out for some ups today. Put them through around 38 miles with 6 thousand ft. of climbing. They were sweet. Perfect size for my SS'er. Nice beefy tires with low weight and nice volume. One came in at 452g and the other 465g.