May 2008

race king ss vs. rocket ron ?

as a front tire
    mainly dry to damp conditions

what has the most grip?
    which rolls easier?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i run the rocket ron on the rear and like it ok....but..

i will try the nobby nic next time....

mtbr member
    Nobby Nic is like a tractor tire ... unless you ride deep mudd all the time, it's overkill.

You can't compare Race King to Rocket Ron. Race King is more like the Racing Ralph, but the profile clogs up much easier and doesn't clean itself as well.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ron has more grip in the corners. RK rolls easier.

I currently run RK in the rear and RRon in the front. My friend was running RK up front, switching over to RRon's because he's washing out too much.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Ron is faster and grippier of the two. The Race King has no off-camber grip and that is downright scary for such a fast tire. Ron spins up very fast, and stays there with minimal effort....due to hard center tread compound, resulting in little tire deflection at any pressure. Downhill, Ron rarely slides around because it bites the terrain so well and is very informative when it's about to break traction...allowing you to make the necessary corrections and recover safely.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ra Ra 2.25 in the front RK rear. Tried everything else and nothing compares. Very good grip controllable more rubber on the edges than the Ro Ro 2.25. Very fast and grippy on the front at low pressure. Floats when it gets very loose or sloopy but has a good edge.
    A good match in volume and size. All the 2.25 schwalbes are undersize compared with RK.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    2.25 Rocket Ron looks slightly bigger than my 2.2 Race king, according to those MTB tire reviews, the flattening height is largest on the Ralph, then Ron, then RK.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    I have run a set of 2.1 RoRo for the last year and they have held up well, but they are thorn magnets 1-2 punctures a ride.

Not having much luck with tubless I now run some 90g flyweight tubes with 60ml of Joe's sealant and they are a perfect combo with the RoRo and have been trouble free

Grip wise they have done me proud in the dry and mega wet/mud we get in the UK

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamite
    2.25 Rocket Ron looks slightly bigger than my 2.2 Race king, according to those MTB tire reviews, the flattening height is largest on the Ralph, then Ron, then RK.

VOLUME not tread width. RK at 28 psi. Ra Ra at 22 psi on ZTR 355. They do vary in weight though. I have had them between 520 to 580g.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 08-09-2010 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz
    VOLUME not tread width. They do vary in weight though. I have had them between 520 to 580g.
    the ralph's look bigger than the rk's there. But the magazine has them listed in flattening height by mm, so it's not volume.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    They have similar volume[ bead to bead measurement], RK casing is taller. Ra Ra casing is wider[at 40 psi it is a true 2.4. Shown at 22 psi]. On front Ra Ra 2.4 holds speed very well cornering and over rough terrain.