conjoinicorned

quick spoke length q - 2mm too much?

i've built a few wheels but while i was working at a shop with an unlimited supply of spokes. i need to rebuild my wheels with new hubs and looking at some special (i.e. colored) spokes that i can only buy in quantities of 32

the front are both 292, but the rear is 292/290 (measuring with ruler after removing spoke, so not super accurate but close)

if i just went with 292 will there be enough thread? it seems ok when i try the 292 in the 290 hole but i didn't tension the wheel back to normal either (LOL since a bunch of spokes are gone now)

thanks for any advice
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Thats too much... you should be able to find a shop with a spoke machine to cut them down though.

transmitter~receiver

quick spoke length q - 2mm too much?

Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    i've built a few wheels but while i was working at a shop with an unlimited supply of spokes. i need to rebuild my wheels with new hubs and looking at some special (i.e. colored) spokes that i can only buy in quantities of 32

the front are both 292, but the rear is 292/290 (measuring with ruler after removing spoke, so not super accurate but close)

if i just went with 292 will there be enough thread? it seems ok when i try the 292 in the 290 hole but i didn't tension the wheel back to normal either (LOL since a bunch of spokes are gone now)

thanks for any advice
    What was the relative length on the previous build (where were the spoke ends in the nipples)?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    When you measure the spoke with a ruler, make sure you're measuring the right thing. Like so:

Also, it doesn't go without saying that the original spokes were of the optimal length. The original spoke could be 290 mm, even if the optimal length was anywhere between 289-291 mm. If the optimum length was 291, you could easily go with 292 mm. If possible at all, measure the ERD and hub to be sure.

Of course you can just go with the original length, all you need to do is add a few turns to the thread and cut off excess length. For such a small amount of spokes it's feasible to do with a simple thread die, fine saw and file for finishing.

conjoinicorned
    Thanks all!

After careful measuring the original spokes are 290/292 F and 288/292 rear....so I went with 32x290 and 32x292 which also matches the dt Swiss calc. I don't foresee any major issues

I built the original wheels a long time ago so they probably aren't perfect LOL
    what would rainbow unicorn do?