. . .
    Jun 2004

Quick question - all black wheel/rim for v-brake?

Is there a v-brake version of the fully black type wheels on disc brake set up bikes, or would the part where the v-brake meets the rim always have to be silver coloured metal?

I'm having trouble finding anything thats totally black (spokes, rim etc) and would like the entire wheel to look black, without the silver coloured metal part or having to change to discs.

Thanks for any replies, sorry if this has been asked before.

Freshly Fujified
    Quote Originally Posted by konaChu
    Is there a v-brake version of the fully black type wheels on disc brake set up bikes, or would the part where the v-brake meets the rim always have to be silver coloured metal?

I'm having trouble finding anything thats totally black (spokes, rim etc) and would like the entire wheel to look black, without the silver coloured metal part or having to change to discs.

I'm pretty sure that the surface where your pads meet the wheel will always be unpainted. If this were not the case, disc brake rotors would also be colored. Check with Shiggy, I would guess he has a definitive answer on this.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

brother on a mission
    I think you can get some rims that are compatible with both rim and disk brakes that are all black (check out hte sun rims site). However, as soon as you start using v-brakes on them, the black will start wearing away.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    The black color is anodizing. Generally anodizing ranges from .0005 to .0010 thick. So every time your rims wear .001" the color will be gone. If you wanted to, you could re-anodize your rims frequently. There is also hardcoat anodizing which is up to .0020 thick and more durable so you wouldn't have to re-anodize as often.

Did you every think you may be too concerned about aesthetics? What do you do when your bikes gets dirty?

. . .
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the replies so far.

It made me laugh when I read that you asked if I was overly concerned with aesthetics - I don't mind scratches, whatever on the frame, and both I and the bike are usually caked in a lot of mud after a few hours riding, I was just interested to know whether those types of rims existed like the disc ones as they would look cool, its a shame that they don't seem to really.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Even if you had anodizing on the rim brake performance would be hindered for sure.

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by nnn
    Even if you had anodizing on the rim brake performance would be hindered for sure.
    It is definitely hindered, but after a couple of rides, the anodizing is gone, and you have a custom "machined" brake surface that funcions quite well. I have a set of silver Rhyno lites that have been treated this way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a set of black Sun Rhyno Lite rims. The set I have are all black, though I've seen some with silver sidewalls so be careful if you order some. I have them laced to the 6 bolt shimano XT disc brake hubs with db'd black spokes. Sounds like this set up would work for you. I got them hand built at Universal Cycles about 2 years ago for about $160-170. They're heavy wheels, but strong and I've had no issues.

I would agree with other posters who said the black would likely wear off the sidewalls in a fairly quick fashion if you were to use v-brakes. I've always used disc brakes since I've had them so I can't say how sure how quickly it would wear.

Chris

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris87114
    The set I have are all black, though I've seen some with silver sidewalls so be careful if you order some.
    Whoa, be very careful. Disc rims are usually disc specific. They don't have the appropriate rim braking surface.

Using vbrakes on these disc rims would be suicide!

brother on a mission
    Not to beat a dead horse, but the silver sided rhynolites have a machined braking surface. The all black rhyno lites are the same rim without the machining. If you have a reasonable quality V-brake, it will stop fine. After a season of riding you will have machined the braking surface yourself, and they work better. I am sure that the machining that Sun does, and the do it yourself machining are not the same, but I have been running non-machined rhyno lites with a rear V-brake, and they have stopped perfectly well from the start. Of course I have a disc in the front ;-).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What about ceramic?

Quote Originally Posted by konaChu

You can get v-brake rims with a ceramic coated brake track that are all black. Bontrager makes them, so does Mavic. There are probably others. They also have more braking power than standard (non-coated) rims, especially when wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Rims do not need a machined sidewall to use rim brakes. As long as the rim is not "disc only" you can use it. Machined sidewalls are a fairly recent "norm". I have used plenty of full annoed rims over the years.

The DT Swiss XR 4.1d is exactly the same as the "rim brake" version except for the machining.

The black will wear off with use and the braking will be poor in the wet until the anno wears off.

You could use the XR 4.1 Ceramic which has a dark grey sidewall.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

. . .
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Backmarker
    You can get v-brake rims with a ceramic coated brake track that are all black. Bontrager makes them, so does Mavic. There are probably others. They also have more braking power than standard (non-coated) rims, especially when wet.
    I found these - Mavic x618 ceramic rims, for v-brakes. (£64.95 online) I like the idea of increased braking power in the wet, and the look of the darker sidewall.

Any opinions on building a wheelset for XC use (front+rear) with these? Opinions on the look of black spokes vs silver on a dark bike would be appreciated too. If anyones using these on their bike and could post a pic of the wheel that'd be great.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

mtbr member

WTB Dual Duty

Check out the WTB Dual Duty - I think you'll be pleased with what you find.

. . .
    Jun 2004

dogsex

Anyone have the Mavic EX721 Ceramic rims on their bike? Post pics -

an eagle in your mind
    Aug 2004
    i have sun cr18 rims... all black, black spokes, black formula hubs. look really really nice on an all black bike w/ black components. however, a few rides in the mud put some nasty silvre streaks through the sidewall of the rim. oh well, discs will come... some day
    living on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun -bill woods

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm considering doing this with a set of Stans' ZTR 355's without the ABT sidewall, so just the black anodized. Its pretty wet where I ride so I'm a bit nervous. Anyone else have any feedback on this? Of course, Stans says don't do it.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGus View Post
    I'm considering doing this with a set of Stans' ZTR 355's without the ABT sidewall, so just the black anodized. Its pretty wet where I ride so I'm a bit nervous. Anyone else have any feedback on this? Of course, Stans says don't do it.
    Yeah, don't do that. Have a look at these...

Velocity - Cliffhanger - 700c
    I like turtles