mtbr member

Questions about WTB Velociraptor 2.1 Race rear tire

hello yall,

I would like to know a bit more of your experiences with this tire...are the knobs rather soft or are they hard and durable?...does anyone have the real world weight on this tire? will it do well on the Arizonan desert? thanks for all your input.

Doc
    [SIZE="4"]07 IBEX Asta Expert X9 "La Bonita"
    04 LITESPEED Classic "Chispita"[/SIZE]
    Jan 07 @ 224lbs - Jan 08 @165lbs - Goal @ 155lbs

mtbr member
    I have this tire on two of my bikes and I really like it. It seems to hold up really well for me although I dont live in Az. either. I do ride lots of rocks and roots. I have never ripped a knob off this tire yet.

As far as weight goes (I have never actually weighed it) manufacturer specs it at 675 grams so its not reallly that heavy.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

It's about showing up.

I've used the rear for years

and the weight as given before is good enough. I have NEVER lost a knob but do not do a lot of rocks. I've heard people complain about it's lack of roll but I pump it up to 45 and with the bog knobs it grabs very well.

I really like this tire.

But what do I know?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The Velociraptor rear...

provides tons of traction, rolls like ass at any inflation pressure and on any surface, and packs with mud in wet conditions faster than you can blink.

But they are very durable.

If all you are looking for is maximum traction and durability they do work well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    what do you mean by it rolls like ass? do you mean that the tire behaves like a boat anchor?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yeah pretty much.....

They're a pretty slow roller. That blocky large tread pattern provides great traction, but it rolls quite slow. I used to use them years ago and I couldn't break the rear loose on most climbs even in gravel. But you sure felt them on extended climbs or on hard fast sections. One nice advantage though, if you ride them on pavement they vibrate enough to give your keister a nice message! Well, maybe not that bad, they do roll a bit rough though. If you are looking for something fast the Vraptor rear isn't it. If traction is your main concern then they're a great tire. Every tire is a compromise, in this case WTB opted in favor of grip over rolling resistance.

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    thanks squash...well, i am looking for an all around tire actually...my riding conditions are horrible (South Arizona) right now, i have a mutano raptor 2.24 as my rear tire and i definitely love it because of the following factors:

1. Its grip is crazy when going uphill, but it is toooooo heavy for me...
    2. It has lasted more than 2 months...other tires i have used got trashed within a month or month an a half of abuse...All my rear tires get severe cuts...yeap, we have wonderful sharp rock gardens....
    3. Even after being abused, i made it ghetto tubeless...

Basically, i would say that my riding style is rather linear per se conservative and fast...remember, i have to go through sand and loose conditions...i get good grip at front (moto raptor 2.24) and need traction and endurance from a rear tire...so, I am wondering if this tire can take such abuse so that it lasts a little longer than other tires...i would say that with a few grams less from my rear and front tire and with pedalling stroke i make might help me disregard rolling resistance, unless it is as horrible as the nevegal (used it before and the knobs got torn apart within 3 weeks)...what do you think? or any other suggestion?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I'd say give it a shot....

Your problem is not that uncommon. Unfortunately it's a tough one to solve. There are only two things that make a tire more durable, more and harder rubber. It's tough to find a tire with a good durable carcass and tough tread blocks that isn't heavy for it's size. So I feel your pain. Sharp or highly abrassive rock raises particular hell with almost any tire.

In this case I'd say try em. The Vraptor while not that heavy (not the lightest in the class though) has a good deep blocky tread that should help protect the carcass well. While they're not the greatest sand tires in the world, they do okay. Those big center blocks act like paddles in the sand and will keep you rolling. Not quite as much float as the Mutano as it's a bit narrower, but it'll do.

The only other tire I can think of that I know will stand up to those conditions pretty well is the Maxxis Minion DH F and DH R cobination. The folding bead version it 2.35 is heavy though, right around the same as you Mutanos at 830g a copy. But they are durable.

Anyway, all you can do is try the Raptor and see. I don't think it would be any worse than the Nevigal in the rolling department, nor any worse than your Mutanos in the wear area either, and deffinately a bit ligher than the Muti.

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    I have been using them here in Arizona. I live by Tucson Mountain Park, and it eats up tires!! The Velociraptor rear has done well. I run it "ghetto" tubeless at 28psi, and it works well. It really hooks up on the climbs. It wears pretty well. I have not ripped a sidewall yet, even on rocky trails. The sidewall does seep a little bit of Stans. I check the pressure every ride. The Stans may need a top off before the tire wears out. Mine started to tear off a couple knobs, but did not flat. It was getting well worn by then anyway.

I also got them for $10 a pop. Makes it easier to keep from crying when they wear out.

mtbr member
    I've used VRaptor front and rear all over the state. Good all around tire for AZ. I'm running a Copperhead on the back right now, pretty good mostly, I can break it loose if I'm forward on the bike, I'm only 5' 4" and 140 lbs though, but it seems to be pretty tough, rolls fast enough and has good overall traction. On my bikes and with my style the Vraptor means almost no braking effect on the rear, other than to steer the bike around slick curves like going into washes and that kind of stuff.