mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    with stans you don't want any UST tires. Stans wheels are designed to work with tube-type tires. The UST tires will have a different bead shape (to be air tight with a ust rim) and stiffer sidewalls. Stans is designed to use regular tube tires with the stans tire sealant and the tire sealant seals any leaks in the side walls and bead. Some of the tubeless ready tires don't use the UST bead so they might work.

I run kenda small block 8's on my stans flow rims with no problems. Use the stans yellow tapes and valve stems with the stans sealant and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Question on tube-type vs tubeless tires

What makes a tube-type tire unsuitable for use in a tubeless set-up? I am planning to purchase Stan's NoTubes Arch EX wheels to go the tubeless route on a 29er build, but the selection is rather slim for tires designated as "Tubeless ready". Currently, I am considering the Ritchey Z Max Shield and Hutchinson Cobra which are both Tubeless Ready, but I also like the Kenda Small Block 8 which is not listed as Tubeless Ready.

mtbr member
    Last time I looked through the notubes website they had a list of all the tires, which ones worked better than others and which ones were not recommended (there was only one brand at the time). Since stans started way back I've converted nearly every mtb tire I've bought, including the dh bike way back in 2005. I converted my road over a year ago, and even though running lower pressures (mid 90's down from 120) I have yet to get a flat, the roads aren't the best here either. Tubeless or tubeless ready on an mtb are not needed, just check the list and pick your favorite tire, reap the benefits of tubeless and keep those tubes for emergencies only.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    VERY helpful information. I didn't realize the NoTubes rims could be used with tube type tires. I've decided to go with the Kenda Small Block Eight.