I Have Cookies

Question: Seating an older tire Tubeless....?

is it an impossible feat? Just tryed twice to do it once Gorilla tape Ghetto and once 20" cut tube meathods it seems like the Rim is too wide? BTW it's a Sub SOS Rim and a WTB stout 2.3 thats about a year old . Using plenty of soapy water..... Just can't figure this out.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

I Have Cookies
    Wow! No one?
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Wow! No one?
    Since you are anxious for a reply: Use an inner tube. Problem solved.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That's what i did..... just the tinker-er in me is itching to figure this out! BTW? Shig, What's your take os Tubeless? I don't really see you pushing it much here.

____
    Kimo

I Have Cookies
    Well still no takers...... No one has tried this?

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Well still no takers...... No one has tried this?

In my experience a tier that has come off a rim will fit a little looser when you put it back on.

It must stretch somehow....

To get it to seat tubeless (at least with UST rims)...I first mount the tire with some Stans on the beads.

Then I rotate the tire around the rim back and forth to spread out the Stans, and get the thing rady to pop on.

Then I check for any spots where the tire may not touch the UST rim side well.

I pull the valve core and get ready to inject air with one hand.

I use the other hane to flatten the tire against the rim where the air is coming out.

And POP on it goes.

If that doesn't work I will work the bead onto the rim where the air was leaking from...

And if that don't work, forget about it pop in a tube.

I Have Cookies
    now your talkin UST rim I'm talkin non UST with Gorilla tape and a 20" cut tube (I Have added this since last time

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Ahhh yes, always the original helpful answer.

Now if we just get Chaz Martel on here with a "facepalm" picture, the universe will be complete and the op will have all the answers he needs, including the meaning of life.

mtbr member
    I have used the split tube method the most. I find it to be quite simple and easy most times.

1. Make sure the spoke holes are taped with either a regular rim strip or strapping tape.'
    2. Stretch a 20" tube evenly onto the rim, with just a bit of air in it. It should look like you have a road tire mounted on the rim.
    3. Split the tube all the way around. I use EMT scissors. Some tubes like Pyramid have a nice little line to follow all the way around.
    4. Use a wet rag, and thoroughly wipe off all the powder residue.
    5. Mount one side of the tire BY HAND!!
    6. Mount the other side most of the way and add your selected sealant.
    7. Finish mounting the other bead the rest of the way BY HAND!!
    8. Inflate to 35psi. NO MORE!! You are not seating a UST bead into a UST rim!! More pressure will risk blowing the tire off.
    9. Shake the sealant onto the sidewalls, and all around.
    10. Trim off the excess rubber by pulling lightly and cutting.
    11. Set pressure around 28psi, more or less depending on various factors.

If you have trouble with the tire ballooning out into place, try a couple things. Make sure you are using a compressor. Remove the valve core for more volume.

I don't like the tire to be on the floor. The valve stem area is a problem area. I hold the tire in my left hand, with the valve stem at the top of the tire, pointing down. I hold it up with my fingers, and put some pressure with the heel of my hand on top of the tire, as I inflate, and this usually gets it to pop into place. You can also paint the tire beads with some mold builder.

The only tires that ever gave me trouble were wire beads that had been hanging and had some small kinks in them. I kept having to push on the tire in various spots, and eventually they popped into place.

I Have Cookies
    Yeah I was talking to another friend the other day and he pretty much told me the same thing I think I just need more volume!

____
    Kimo

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    Ahhh yes, always the original helpful answer.

Now if we just get Chaz Martel on here with a "facepalm" picture, the universe will be complete and the op will have all the answers he needs, including the meaning of life.
    yeah you can always count on our fearless mod to give us the best answers like he couldn't be bothered......

____
    Kimo