Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004

Question regarding XT disc hubs

I bought some 36 hole XT disc hubs and two Mavic 317disc rims also 36 hole. I laced the front wheel up, tensioned it and trued it, then I mounted it in the front fork to see how it was. Well the rim is quite a bit off center in the fork, sits way over too one side. I looked at the wheel and it is the same offset on each side, I used the same lenght spokes for both sides, so why is it like this? The only explanation I can find is that the flanges of the hub are offset to one side to make room for the rotor mount, so therefore the wheel is offset to one side as well. Can I take the axel out and offset it to one side to compensate for this, or are my hubs just crap? I did get them pretty cheap.

Speedhub doc.

must "dish" rims (centre between)..

The rims need to be "dished: or centred between the hubs locknuts, nut the hub flanges, so, try to tightnen the spokes on the "rotor side" and loosen the spokes on the opposite side to pull the rim over (if the spokes are to long or to short, you might have to relace the wheel) Generally, the spokes on the rotor side are 1mm~2mm shorter than the spokes on the opposite side (for front wheels anyways) Some sites to look at..www.dtswiss.com (spoke cal) Mike T's and Sheldons wheelbuilding sites are very usefull to...

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    The rims need to be "dished: or centred between the hubs locknuts, nut the hub flanges, so, try to tightnen the spokes on the "rotor side" and loosen the spokes on the opposite side to pull the rim over (if the spokes are to long or to short, you might have to relace the wheel) Generally, the spokes on the rotor side are 1mm~2mm shorter than the spokes on the opposite side (for front wheels anyways) Some sites to look at..www.dtswiss.com (spoke cal) Mike T's and Sheldons wheelbuilding sites are very usefull to...
    Yes you are right, there are supposed to be different lenght spokes on the rotor and non-rotor side, I just checked on the DT site, thanks. I guess the guy at the LBS gave me all the same size, I can always tighten down one side a little more then the other maybe, would that work ?

Ride Instigator

Idea! One thing to watch out for....

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU
    Yes you are right, there are supposed to be different lenght spokes on the rotor and non-rotor side, I just checked on the DT site, thanks. I guess the guy at the LBS gave me all the same size, I can always tighten down one side a little more then the other maybe, would that work ?
    The only problem that you might run into is bottoming out the threads in the nipples on the rotor side. If you get to a point that the nipples won't turn anymore, that's what happened.

Leave it to the knuckleheads at the local shop...Some time ago my local shop sold me a set of spokes. Rotor side spokes were a tad shorter then the other side, at least he had them labled that way. The problem was that he had a couple of odd sized spokes on one side...that threw a wrench into the works grrr. I now double check to be sure that all spokes for each side are the same lenghth before I start lacing...live and learn