Lets RIDE!

QR Skewers - titanium, cro-mo, both?

I'm trying to gather the last few parts for my new build (a FS XC ride using mostly XT-ish level components). Looking at QR skewers I thought I'd go with titanium, save a little weight. Then I noticed that in most cases the titanium is only saving me an ounce or less on a pair, and doubling the price. Why bother. THEN i noticed that the Sette brand skewers come in either cro-mo, titanium, or what they call "suspension skewers", which is a cro-mo front skewer and a titanium rear skewer. What's up with that?. Is there a strength issue with putting a titanium skewer on a suspension fork?

So I ask the collective wisdom of the forum.....what should I get, as a good strength / weight / cost compromise? All the choices are making my head spin

Thanks.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I would go for steel myself. Shimano XT skewers will do the job just fine.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ti is typically a bit more flexy.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Just go with steel....

it's cheaper. The benefits to Ti skewers are, as you have noted, limited. And yes there have been issues with Ti skewers used with suspension forks. They can flex enough to loosen the qr as you ride. It's best to leave the Ti skewers to the Racers and Weight Weenies. Your best compromise for weight, strength, and cost is going to be a good set of steel or stainless steel skewers.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Single Speed Junkie
    Have several Ti versions, but currently am buying steel and it is not a cost factor.

Ride Everything
    The Ti rods save you minimal weight compared to steel. A quick google search will tell you that they don't hold as well, either.

My favorite skewers are the DT RWS and Shimano XT(R). Reasonably light, and more importantly, secure.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything