mtbr member

Punctured Tire: To keep or not to keep

Made my daily trip from downtown to the park for some action and my tire caught a slow puncture along the way. I always do final checks when I arrive on the grounds and noticed the leak. Changed the tube and hit the trails only to find out that I had another puncture! Turns out a piece of glass sliced through a knob and got jammed, instantly stalling my ride. Managed to get the glass out with needle nose pliers and insert my last tube for the trip home.

Here's the damage
    Punctured Tire: To keep or not to keep-dscf0110.jpg

The tire is a Kenda Slant Six DTC with only a few miles but I don't know if I should keep or replace it with a new one. Any help you can provide would be great.
    Last edited by Stainless Steel; 04-26-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    2009 Diamondback Outlook

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Put a boot in it with a small hole say 2mm a tube patch will work. For a larger hole use the side wall of an old tire with patch glue. I ran a .25 inch cut for 100 miles with a piece of plastic from a coffee can.
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    I'll give that a shot after I pick up some tube from the LBS. Thanks!
    2009 Diamondback Outlook

mtbr member
    UPDATE:
    So I managed to pull the little bits of glass from the slashed knob. Removed the tire from the wheel and used my patch kit. I toured all of my usual trail with no problem.

Thanks zerodish!
    2009 Diamondback Outlook

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    A small puncture is normal...it's the sidewall tears that could ruin a tire. If your worried about small punctures, don't be. It happens. One reason why many riders have converted to tubeless. Knock on wood...once I ditched the tubes I haven't had a flat in over 3 years. When I had tubes, I was stopping trail side on a regular basis. The tubeless sealants will fix the hole very quickly...even sometimes will seal up a small sidewall tear. just avoid tubes with pre filled sealant. Been there, done that...never again for me. Tubeless works great and only require rim tape, valves, sealant, and tire. I've done this on countless non-ust rims and non tubeless ready tires. Just make sure the tires bead matches the rims bead. It can be done.

If the puncture is big enough to visually see...and as someone mentioned, try a tire boot on the location. And every time you change a tube, pull the tire off completely and run your fingers along the inside of the tire...be careful if glass found its way in there. inspect carefully because it may cause a new flat within minutes.

If your in San Diego area by chance, come by and I'll set you up tubeless, minus the cost on parts needed.