mtbr member

Project 321 Opinions?

I was planning on buying the Project 321 hubs for a rebuild I am doing on my Cannondale Lefty. Since it's a Lefty front fork and I want the hubs to match my choices are limited. Anybody have any experience with these hubs? Anyone have any other recomendations?

mtbr member
    I've had good results building wheels with the Project 321 hubs.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

My only issue has been with their lefty bolt

Light, but too soft. I ended up stripping it as I was disassembling my bike for a trip to Tucson. Luckily the local Cannondale dealer hooked me up. Ended up destroy the 321 bolt removing it. Their hub is probably fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have had no issues with my P321 hub whatsoever, and the rear hub uses i9 internals, so it should be reliable as well. As far as matching hubs go there are actually quite a few choices. P321, DT Swiss, Tune, i9Extralite, Soul-Kozak, Circus Monkey and (for 2013) American Classic. I am sure there are others, but those are the ones that I know of.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    There really aren't any good reviews on the product so I guess I'm just looking for some peace of mind that I am buying a decent product. Would the 321 be considered an upgrade from the stock hubs, or would it be lateral with some bling?

banned
    IMO, 321 makes some of the best wheels on the market. Call and talk to Jake and explain want you are after and they will make custom changes specifically for you.

Lefty front hubs are all similar, with that design any of the hubs are the same - just comes down to weight and bling factor. Rear wheels are a whole other story and the 321 rear hub is one of the best, if not the best.

mtbr member
    After getting a bunch of opinions from people online/in real life and calling Project 321 I felt pretty confident to get thier hubs. The price difference for the I9's wasn't much, however, after deciding to use regular spokes it seemed like it would be a waste of money to get the i9's. At the end of the day I just want to make sure I'm dumping all this money into a decent set of wheels. So now I just need to wait for the hubs to come in and save the last bit of money for my nipples, spokes, and wheel building cost. I've pretty much completely repurchased every componant on this bike in the last year. I'm sure at the end of the day I could have spent the same amount on a new bike. But I feel confident I wouldn't have got the same level of components, nor the one of a kind bling factor. Besides, I really love my frame and have a hard time considering anything else.