mtbr member

Profile racing hubs

Has anyone tried the new Profile Racing 204 engagement pt hubs? Expensive, not super light and no track record but if they work "INSTANT ENGAGEMENT"!

mtbr member
    My former coworker has one. Super loud, a little draggy, good quality (no durability issues yet), crazy engagement.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    They use a 68 point ratchet ring with three sets of pawls offset from one another. This is how they achieve that engagement. Two pawls engaging very small teeth, it would be interesting how the long term durability is especially when a little contamination is thrown in mid ride.

They do look nice though, that is for sure.

Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member

Not too bad

When you consider the old Hadley high engagement hubs that had only a single point of engagement at a time twice that number, opposed, should work far better. $459 for the rear hub only is a big pill to swallow. Still I'd like to try them.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I don't find a pawl type hub compelling for $459. I'd rather have a king with the bulletproof ring drive for less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    When you consider the old Hadley high engagement hubs that had only a single point of engagement at a time twice that number, opposed, should work far better. $459 for the rear hub only is a big pill to swallow. Still I'd like to try them.
    No hub is single pawl engagement, the Hadley also is two pawl engagement but with larger teeth in a 36 point ratchet ring.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog