How much further ???

Problems with new Ring Drive lube

So my Chris King hubs are 11 years old. Rode them moderatly for the first couple seasons in the Midwest, took 8 years off and have started riding on them again this last year out in rocky AZ. Ive had no issues with these hubs in all of those years included the most recent year in AZ. I was using the Chris King Ring Drive lube of 10 years ago which was 6-87 experimental at the time I believe. Recently I ran out and had to order some more directly from Chris King and I received the 6-87 final version I guess. Well this latest Ring Drive lube is very different from the older experimental stuff I was using. The new stuff is much thicker. The old stuff was like a runny/liquidy grease. The new stuff is more of a light paste/grease.

Ok Im talking too much here. Bottom line. Ever since the new Ring Drive lube, Im experiencing big time drag, and horrible engagement issues. 50% of the time Ill go to pedal and the hub isnt engaged. Almost ripped my knee cap off on the handle bar when it failed to engage on a technical climb. I brought the hub into a LBS which took it apart and got it working again. After a couple rides I took it apart to see the condition of the lube. It seems very low and black already, but it was engaging fine. I cleaned it up again and added more of the Ring Drive lube and now the same thing. Wont engage.

This is pissing me off. Chris Kings own F'n lube is rendering their own product garbage. Anyone else running into this? Options? Im thinking of adding a little triflow into the Ring Drive in an attempt to loosen it up a little, thin out the grease somewhat. Ideas?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    So my Chris King hubs are 11 years old. Rode them moderatly for the first couple seasons in the Midwest, took 8 years off and have started riding on them again this last year out in rocky AZ. Ive had no issues with these hubs in all of those years included the most recent year in AZ. I was using the Chris King Ring Drive lube of 10 years ago which was 6-87 experimental at the time I believe. Recently I ran out and had to order some more directly from Chris King and I received the 6-87 final version I guess. Well this latest Ring Drive lube is very different from the older experimental stuff I was using. The new stuff is much thicker. The old stuff was like a runny/liquidy grease. The new stuff is more of a light paste/grease.

Ok Im talking too much here. Bottom line. Ever since the new Ring Drive lube, Im experiencing big time drag, and horrible engagement issues. 50% of the time Ill go to pedal and the hub isnt engaged. Almost ripped my knee cap off on the handle bar when it failed to engage on a technical climb. I brought the hub into a LBS which took it apart and got it working again. After a couple rides I took it apart to see the condition of the lube. It seems very low and black already, but it was engaging fine. I cleaned it up again and added more of the Ring Drive lube and now the same thing. Wont engage.

This is pissing me off. Chris Kings own F'n lube is rendering their own product garbage. Anyone else running into this? Options? Im thinking of adding a little triflow into the Ring Drive in an attempt to loosen it up a little, thin out the grease somewhat. Ideas?
    I remember them changing the lube because they changed the tolerances of the ring drive. I would call them before getting wrapped around the axle.

taken from King website:

A Note on Lubricants and Build Level Versions:
    Rear hub versions 310 though 313 were originally designed to run on 20w non detergent or, preferably, 20w synthetic oil. This lubrication method works well, however, starting at version 314, we improved the system by converting it to run on a special grease. The special grease improved the cold weather performance, back pedal drag while freewheeling, and coasting speed. Sound deadening has benefited also. Do not attempt to run versions earlier than 314 on grease. This could cause sluggish movement of the drive ring leading to engagement problems. These earlier hubs may be upgraded at no cost to run on our special grease. This upgrade includes our new stainless steel needle bearing as well.

The Hub Upgrade Program:
    Due to experience gained from riders and racers in the field our hubs have undergone several minor revisions that have continued to improve their performance. Each notable improvement is referred to as a new build level. The build level, or version, is designated by the first three numbers of the serial number (e.g., a hub with a serial number 310XXXXX is considered a version 310 hub.) Technical improvements added to each new build level are made available to all Chris King customers where ever possible.

http://chrisking.com/tech/tech_hubs

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I remember them changing the lube because they changed the tolerances of the ring drive. I would call them before getting wrapped around the axle.

taken from King website:

A Note on Lubricants and Build Level Versions:
    Rear hub versions 310 though 313 were originally designed to run on 20w non detergent or, preferably, 20w synthetic oil. This lubrication method works well, however, starting at version 314, we improved the system by converting it to run on a special grease. The special grease improved the cold weather performance, back pedal drag while freewheeling, and coasting speed. Sound deadening has benefited also. Do not attempt to run versions earlier than 314 on grease. This could cause sluggish movement of the drive ring leading to engagement problems. These earlier hubs may be upgraded at no cost to run on our special grease. This upgrade includes our new stainless steel needle bearing as well.

The Hub Upgrade Program:
    Due to experience gained from riders and racers in the field our hubs have undergone several minor revisions that have continued to improve their performance. Each notable improvement is referred to as a new build level. The build level, or version, is designated by the first three numbers of the serial number (e.g., a hub with a serial number 310XXXXX is considered a version 310 hub.) Technical improvements added to each new build level are made available to all Chris King customers where ever possible.

http://chrisking.com/tech/tech_hubs
    Yeah Ive read that. So Im forced to participate in a hub upgrade program which requires me to tear apart my wheel to send it in or to buy a $160 tool to do it myself because they thought it would be great to change a lube? I know I have a few more options to try out first and I am a little hot under the collar right now but this has already cost me $$ to take it into the LBS and almost cost me an injury. Its BS.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Do not attempt to run versions earlier than 314 on grease. This could cause sluggish movement of the drive ring leading to engagement problems. ]
    Wait a minute. I just re-read this. When I read this originally I thought they were referring to "grease" here as a generic grease. Do they mean "Do not attempt to run versions earlier than 314 on the latest Ring Drive Lube" ?!?!?!?!? Thats a whole new ball game. Why would Chris King sell me their latest Ring Drive Lube when I told them the hubs Im running on are 11 years old?!?!?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Yeah Ive read that. So Im forced to participate in a hub upgrade program which requires me to tear apart my wheel to send it in or to buy a $160 tool to do it myself because they thought it would be great to change a lube? I know I have a few more options to try out first and I am a little hot under the collar right now but this has already cost me $$ to take it into the LBS and almost cost me an injury. Its BS.

No they changed the ring drive tolerances which required them to change the lubrications physical properties. You can always send them the entire wheel or go to your trusted LBS. King has taken care of me when I upgraded a set of old hubs. It's not worth getting PO because they changed their design over the last 15 years. Try contacting Shimano for rebuild kits for 11 year old hubs they will tell you to pound-sand. King has always gone out of it's way to help me service older hubs. Some folks on mtbr will tell you a different story.

No, that's not phonetic
    Just run 20w synthetic oil. Problem solved and spazzing averted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Straight synth engine oil will work as mentioned; I use something lighter weight.
    Also try adding some tri flow to the ring lube or the engine oil to thin it out.
    CK does recommend adding a few drops every time you add their lube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dumonde Tech freehub oil works fantastic

mtbr member

Good job! Pax, grasshopper

You can never step in the same river twice. Heraclitus said this circa 500 B.C. and it is still true today. Because you took 8 years off, do you think the rest of the world stopped revolving around you?

The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.