mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Problem with dt swiss 240s(rim play)

Hello I was searching for solution on many forums and only found people had the same problem but they didn't solve it. If there is somebody who had this problem and solve it I would be happy if that somebody share solution

Here is image of problem:
    Problem with dt swiss 240s(rim play)-2zz6vk10.jpg
    There is no play when skewer is easy tighten(only to hold wheel), but when you tighten it as much as it is safe to ride there is play.

Note: I checked bearings they are ok

Edit: It's rear wheel image is just there to show play
    Last edited by marko.pw; 07-13-2016 at 07:41 AM.

mtbr member
    If you get play when the skewer is tightened down, my guess would be a busted hub or busted frame. Try it with a different wheel to verify that it's not a busted frame. For the hub, clamp it down tight and look at the hub carefully.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    QR or thru axle? I have an older 240 for a 20 thru axle (Rockshox Maxel) that has some slight play when installed.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    DTs do weird stuff when the bearings are worn out or if they've been replaced without using the dt tools. I know you said its not the bearings, but it probably is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    @watts888 I install wheel in another frame, same play, I also changed skewer, remove skewers springs result was same. Hub is ok I can't see anything bad on it.

@big_papa_nuts it's rear wheel sorry I didn't mention that(i know that image is front sorry again), but it is qr.

@92gli I will check them again but in freehub they are 100% ok, in hub when end caps are removed I try to push axle and there is no play and it works ok.

EDIT: Changing bearings in hub fixed play
    Last edited by marko.pw; 07-15-2016 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    @marko.pw I have the same problem described in your graphic (great one, BTW). A simple bearing change fixed it all? What bearings did you use?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by marko.pw View Post
    @watts888 I install wheel in another frame, same play, I also changed skewer, remove skewers springs result was same. Hub is ok I can't see anything bad on it.

@big_papa_nuts it's rear wheel sorry I didn't mention that(i know that image is front sorry again), but it is qr.

@92gli I will check them again but in freehub they are 100% ok, in hub when end caps are removed I try to push axle and there is no play and it works ok.

EDIT: Changing bearings in hub fixed play

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffpmills View Post
    @marko.pw I have the same problem described in your graphic (great one, BTW). A simple bearing change fixed it all? What bearings did you use?

Jeff
    Hi Jeff, I tried many bearings cheap and expensive, from my experience get some brand bearings but not that expensive(difference is 5 months for cheap and for expensive it's 6-7 months but price for expensive is 3 or 4 times greater). If you know some local store where they sell bearings go there and ask for some of your model also ask if they have full stainless steel bearings(usually rolling elements are not stainless steal) because if water get in bearing it will last f. If you need bearing numbers you can google "dt swiss 240s technical manual" and find for your model. Btw bearing change solve it xD