the air is thin up here..

Is it possible to mod a Pro II to 48 POE

I'm looking at building a set of aggressive XC wheels... I've got another post going.

Thus far I'm thinking ZTR Arch + Pro II's.

The only "downside" of the Pro II's in my mind is the low number of engagement points. OTOH I'm not sure that paying for a King/i9 is worth it.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's possible to mod a Pro II hub so it uses something like the Industry 9 design: the 2/2 oppositely phased pawls.

I'm thinking if 2 of the pawls were "trimmed" or "shaved" by half the size of a tooth, the POE would essentially be doubled to 48. I've never seen one of these hubs apart in person... does anyone know if this would be remotely possible?

mtbr member
    Not sure how the mod would work so I can't comment there... but it may be worth looking at how the Hope pro II SS hub is setup. It has 48 POE.

Here is a photo of the inside of one of my Pro II SS hubs.

Not sure why they never carried the same design with 48 POE over to the geared Pro II. I suspect weight savings.

beautiful noise...
    Quote Originally Posted by noot
    I'm looking at building a set of aggressive XC wheels... I've got another post going.

Thus far I'm thinking ZTR Arch + Pro II's.

The only "downside" of the Pro II's in my mind is the low number of engagement points. OTOH I'm not sure that paying for a King/i9 is worth it.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's possible to mod a Pro II hub so it uses something like the Industry 9 design: the 2/2 oppositely phased pawls.

I'm thinking if 2 of the pawls were "trimmed" or "shaved" by half the size of a tooth, the POE would essentially be doubled to 48. I've never seen one of these hubs apart in person... does anyone know if this would be remotely possible?
    Not sure it'd be possible, much less a good idea. I know for a fact that this hub would get the job done as it's what's on the back of my bike. Just a thought...

PS: the POE listed is incorrect, it's 72.
    [SIZE="4"]out- guy[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]what I do when I'm not riding...[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    Not sure how the mod would work so I can't comment there... but it may be worth looking at how the Hope pro II SS hub is setup. It has 48 POE.

Here is a photo of the inside of one of my Pro II SS hubs.

Not sure why they never carried the same design with 48 POE over to the geared Pro II. I suspect weight savings.

It looks almost identical to the geared ProII except one pair of pawls is offset slightly from the other set, basically making every other one engage (giving 48 POE).

mtbr member
    I have been interested in this as well. I haven't found a way to do it yet, but I will be watching this thread closely. Maybe I will try buying some extra pawls and shaving them down.

Is there any way to use the parts from a Pro II SS and mix them with a Pro II geared hub?
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

...deleted...

Not used to this style of thread display
    Last edited by noot; 12-30-2008 at 01:09 AM.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by guyplaysbass
    Not incorrect actually, they make both 36pt and 72pt versions.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

banned
    Larry,

In the Hadleys, how many pawls engage at a time for either of those engagement point versions?

Quote Originally Posted by guyplaysbass
    Not sure it'd be possible, much less a good idea. I know for a fact that this hub would get the job done as it's what's on the back of my bike. Just a thought...

Thanks for that, I actually hadn't looked at Hadley before. Looks like a nice hub, pretty heavy though =(

beautiful noise...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Not incorrect actually, they make both 36pt and 72pt versions.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    News to me Not saying you're wrong (you would most likely know more then myself), just news to me is all. Do you know the different part numbers by chance?
    [SIZE="4"]out- guy[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]what I do when I'm not riding...[/SIZE]