mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Pepi's Tire Noodle - Lightweight Insert

Anyone tried seen or tried these inserts? I noticed them in a picture posted on PB for coverage of the first WC XCO race this year. These are very intriguing to me. Had to use Google translate as I do not know Italian... https://www.bikesuspension.com/ptn-p...re-noodle.html

Here is what I have found about them after some research. Low weight - claimed 80g each for medium 27.5 insert. That puts them about the same weight as Huck Norris. The design has more fill similar to Cush Core, maybe similar benefits?. Looks like there is a sheath around the foam that would keep sealant from soaking in (until it gets sliced form a hard hit). Price to USA is more little more than HN, but about half of CC. They are noted the as race only, so I wonder how durable they are. Seems like they would be good inserts for trail bikes.

I would like to figure out what material they are made of so I can make my own. Wonder if the sheath is something they add or if it comes on that type of foam? Thoughts?
    Last edited by MudBike; 03-22-2018 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Corrected link

bikes don't have motors
    404 Not Found
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Thanks. I fixed it in my post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Bought some Pepi's noodles, had some trouble fitting up the first tire and insert, but it was a lot easier on the second one.

Pepi's Tire Noodle - Lightweight Insert-img_20180622_114035.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I have been reading up on tire inserts (cushcore, pc, ftd, huck Norris etc)and all of a sudden I start seeing World Cup racers endorsing it. costs less, weighs less. Please review. I am placing an order as soon as I can figure out these euro sites, somebody smart beat me to the punch and carry this in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post
    Bought some Pepi's noodles, had some trouble fitting up the first tire and insert, but it was a lot easier on the second one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180622_114035.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1204654

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    But seriously how do you buy these the site is difficult. Take my money. 25mm internal width. 2.35-2.4 tire(tyre)

https://www.instagram.com/ptn_pepis_tyre_noodle/

I want this like yesterday

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JROC View Post
    But seriously how do you buy these the site is difficult. Take my money. 25mm internal width. 2.35-2.4 tire(tyre)

https://www.instagram.com/ptn_pepis_tyre_noodle/

I want this like yesterday
    Click shop at the top, then type Ptn into the search bar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Click shop at the top, then type Ptn into the search bar.
    have you tried checking out. not so simple

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post

Name:	IMG_20180622_114035.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1204654
    How firm are they? I mostly want a cushcore as they're quite firm and help resist tyre squirm more than anything. These look and sound a lot softer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Huck Norris on the way but I still want PTN! Not a money thing, I thought the weight of Cushcore is dumb, go back to the engineering room and make it lighter. Spend god knows on dope wheels and then increase the weight by 1/3 and friggin expensive and a PIA to install/remove?! I am trying my best to protect my investment on carbon wheels. Everyone raves how inserts enhance feel. Warranty yes but the turnaround usually sucks. I am not trying to run super lowl pressures, I like the rear to wash out first obvi but racers saying they have blown out and finished races is cool. I have considered running cushcore in the rear only. Aaron Gwin says on some races he only runs FTD on rear wheel same concept.
    I am now considering these
    Vittoria Air-Liner tire insert launched - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com
    Last edited by JROC; 1 Week Ago at 09:00 PM.

mtbr member
    The pros ran for years without these things, and so did we... What changed now that so many people are ruining rims without inserts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Riding a mid travel 29er not a burly downhill rig. Casing jumps. Hitting rocks. Going fast. I hate hearing that sound and stopping/checking ok Iím good. edit entirely off topic who has these and can review? how have you purchased?
    Last edited by JROC; 1 Week Ago at 07:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I bit the bullet and ordered a set. I ordered the large size as I wanted the most sidewall support and run a big 2.5 WTB Breakout on the rear. I probably won't use one in the front. I was going for to get a cushcore but Pepi's tyre noodle was cheaper for 2 than 1 Cushcore and less than half the weight. It'll probably take a few weeks to arrive being international mail from eBay but I'll come back with a review after I test it out.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    It'll be interesting to see just how "race only" they are.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    It'll be interesting to see just how "race only" they are.
    Yeah longevity might be the key but I don't actually see where they state "race only" and they do mention durability so might be lucky. I'll have a spare so I'll periodically pop the bead and check it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    ...I don't actually see where they state "race only"...
    Pepi's Tire Noodle - Lightweight Insert-cartoncino_bild_sito_page1_image1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by literally View Post

Name:	cartoncino_bild_sito_page1_image1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	1208006
    Ahh ok, I wouldn't be surprised if that was some poor translation because their website and all the media on them has terrible English lol. But I also wouldn't be surprised for the weight if the noodle degrades fairly quickly. We shall see.

mtbr member
    I tried to order them, they refunded me and said they donít ship to the US.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    I tried to order them, they refunded me and said they donít ship to the US.
    I ordered mine through eBay, obviously non English speaking seller and they're on there way to Australia. They'd probably ship to the US too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I ordered mine through eBay, obviously non English speaking seller and they're on there way to Australia. They'd probably ship to the US too.
    Thanks, just ordered a set. Cheap and light vs cushcore. Worth a shot. Ive been running cushcore and love everything about it but the weight.

mtbr member
    I want to order some on Ebay, but can't figure out what the different sizes are... Small, Medium and Large ... of what...?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    I want to order some on Ebay, but can't figure out what the different sizes are... Small, Medium and Large ... of what...?
    What size wheels do you have? How wide are your rims? Thatís plenty of info to work it out...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    Thanks, just ordered a set. Cheap and light vs cushcore. Worth a shot. Ive been running cushcore and love everything about it but the weight.
    Interested in your comparison to cushcore. I'm running CC and the added weight on long days is noticeable.