Fat-tired Roadie

Pedro's Tire Levers: Unsung Heroes

So I have a Schwalbe tubeless ready front tire and a rim with no real channel in the middle. It's an extraordinarily difficult combination to mount and dismount. I've managed in the past, but for whatever reason, today I was less competent. I managed to launch and lose one of my blue Park Tool tire levers and break one of the ones on my multitool.

Fail.

I called my LBS and they said they had some more awesome plastic ones that I should try. I figured I don't have anything to lose at this point, put my remaining Park Tool levers in my pocket, and went down there to have a look.

Just looking at them, the Pedro's levers are wider and have a more prominent hook shape. Since I've never broken a Park lever, I figured I didn't need to rule out plastic levers yet and I bought 'em.

Just unseated my tire. While still a pain - I still needed to use two at the same time - they stayed engaged with the tire bead, and I got it off successfully. Maybe one or two tries? Nothing bent, nothing broken, and they stay put. The Park levers were difficult to keep in place, probably part of why I kept launching them.

I'll write a review shortly. But kudos to Pedro's for figuring out how to make this cheap, mundane item very well.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Save Jesus
    I passed up the Pedro's levers because the end was too blunt. That makes it harder to jam or wedge into tight spaces. IMHO, if you have to yank really hard on a tire lever, you're doing it wrong.

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL. I might have said that before I had to get this particular tire on and off my rims. And it's probably less bad (and more bad!) on other rims. Getting the Park levers in under the bead wasn't the problem, it was getting them to stay there.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx