Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I don't think MSRP is necessarily for suckers. For some people $1700 is chump change and they are often happy to pay full retail without blinking an eye. The shop they like benefits and they walk out with a cool set of wheels, I don't this qualifies them as suckers because they know full well that they could haggle a deal if they wanted to.

For others $1700 is a ****load of cash and a lot of shops do not mind cutting a deal at all. It depends on the wholesale cost of course but I used to sometimes discount items like that up to 20% for a good customer. It sure doesn't hurt to ask IMO, and remember that for some people cash still talks!
    ALL my bikes roll on carbon and I have never paid MSRP. Get the point.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Nor­wegr
    I'd haggle away, there's always some leeway if you aren't dealing with the manufacturer direct.

mtbr member
    I still think the problem is the brand he wants. If he was wanting Enve rims on DT hubs he can look those up, find deals and then go back to the store with those numbers.
    When I ask how much a Rocky Mountain costs they say " X but we'll give you a deal" usually that means hundreds less without me even asking for a better price. When I ask how much the Cannondale/Specialized thing costs they just say "X". Conversation over. Specialized and Cannondale seem to be firm on their pricing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    MSRP on Easton Haven's is about $2350....I paid $1650 ORD from my local shop

MSRP on the 2012 Santa Cruz Tallbot LT carbon was $2699...I paid $2200 OTD

Don't pay MSRP on any big ticket items!!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    Haven't seen that thread, can you link to it? LBS used their warranty as a selling point, too. And this shop has always taken good care of me in that regard.
    Roval Control SL 29 Wheels - Mtbr Forums

Apparently specialized wont warranty rim impact cracks/damage. I believe this is the main issue these rims^ are breaking though not many people in the thread are admitting to it.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Roval Control SL 29 Wheels - Mtbr Forums

Apparently specialized wont warranty rim impact cracks/damage. I believe this is the main issue these rims^ are breaking though not many people in the thread are admitting to it.
    I only made it through the first page, but it sounds like rim dings from too low of tire pressure. I was warned about being susceptible to bad rim damage. I'm 185 lbs and run around 25 fr and 28 rr.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    MSRP on Easton Haven's is about $2350....I paid $1650 ORD from my local shop

MSRP on the 2012 Santa Cruz Tallbot LT carbon was $2699...I paid $2200 OTD

Don't pay MSRP on any big ticket items!!
    You got your havens for $1650? Screaming deal. Any catch? Or just a LBS wanting a sale?

2 year warranty is okay, but the Specializeds have a lifetime warranty. I think that Is the biggest selling point for me. That, the price, and the rim width.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Only in America does anyone question paying MSRP. The haggle is a way of life pretty much everywhere else. We are like poor trained monkeys that are too scared of not being PC and offending the owner of the item we want. I try to haggle pretty everything unless it is from a friend and I think they are giving me a great price already. I say start at 30% and go from there.
    +1. In Mexico we haggle on everything and here I do the same. Believe me they are still making a profit. Most of the time the markup is insane. I agree with pulling out your wad of cash as businesses get charged a % for using cards. I even get cash price at the doctors office because I save them money and in turn they save me some too.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Trails View Post
    An example was when i got my last car.. I went into the dealership and asked to talk to the sales mgr.. I told him that i was going to buy a car today paying cash--
    The term "cash" means nothing to a car dealership -
    1. They get a cut if you take out a loan through them.
    2. If you take the loan or arrange your own loan then they either get a check or money deposited. It's not like the tradesman doing a job for cash and he doesn't have to declare the income.

and i was going to go to all 3 honda dealerships in the area regardless to the price he gave me--best price got the sale.. All in a friendly matter and just talking straight up... Car was $24,500-- he came right back @ $19,9.. Almost 5 k off right there.. Went to the next dealer-- $19,750 but thew in a arm rest and a few other things.. That let me know that was about as low as i was going to get-- so i took the deal.. All was happy..
    And if you didn't know what they paid for the car they could still have made a big profit. There are many websites where you can find what cars cost dealerships. Almost all dealers will accept 3% above their cost and some will accept cost as they get "holdback" from the maker. My daughter paid 3% above cost for her Hyundai and they grabbed the deal.

But yes, if both parties are happy then it was a good deal.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Willing buyer, willing seller. My brother haggles all the time and is usually shot down in bicycle stores. He haggles all the time everywhere else and walks away golden.

For big ticket items I just go online, ebay or wait for a big sale with coupon. But if you want those $$$$ wheels locally I'd ask "do you have a cash price" to which they will probably say "no" then you ask if they'll take X-amount for an out the door price. It may work. At the very least I ask if they'll ring the item up out of state to avoid paying sales tax if the business does online selling.

I did that with a highend carbon 29er HT purchased locally. Of the last 20 bikes maybe 3 were bought locally with this cash price offer.

I would not buy $1700 wheels when the likes of Boyd, Williams and Cheap Chinese exist for much much less. I went the route of the Cheap Chinese 30mm wide carbon rims, purchased lightweight nice hubs online along with spokes and had them built. Sub-1600 grams and less than $600 for a reliable tubeless setup without cheesey marketing logos.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thanks for the advice.

I would prefer not to order anything from china. I'm sure the quality is decent but I need the warranty, consistency, and 1450g weight of the rovals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the advice.

I would prefer not to order anything from china. I'm sure the quality is decent but I need the warranty, consistency, and 1450g weight of the rovals.
    The rovals are awesome, your gonna love them. I own 3 sets of them. Don't mess with them knockoffs. Rovals SL's are hand built and worth every dime.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Custom Wheelbuilder
    In that price range, you could do much better than Rovals. The radial lacing on that wheelset is notorious for going slack which could lead to premature wear and/or spoke breakage. Additionally, you would be stuck with proprietary parts.
    If your gonna spend 2k on wheels, go with Enves. A 5 year warranty and lifetime crash replacement is pretty hard to beat. Special Ed's warranty is no where near that of the boys in Utah.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    In that price range, you could do much better than Rovals. The radial lacing on that wheelset is notorious for going slack which could lead to premature wear and/or spoke breakage. Additionally, you would be stuck with proprietary parts.
    If your gonna spend 2k on wheels, go with Enves. A 5 year warranty and lifetime crash replacement is pretty hard to beat. Special Ed's warranty is no where near that of the boys in Utah.
    I have actually considered them heavily.
    So much that I had trouble deciding in the past, and still do.

The team I race for gets enve/ king stuff at cost.

The only concerns I have are the 100g weight penalty of the enve/king wheels. In that case, I could use DT240s or 180s, but I am stuck with 36 POE.

I guess I could shop around and find some light reliable race hubs with >50 POE. Zen, do you have any suggestions?

Also, the XC rim is pretty narrow. 18mm internal may give me some casing flex in my tires. I typically race with high volume tires here in the rooty southeast.

Ill do some math and see what they will cost with certain configurations.

mtbr member
    Based on your screen name, I'm guessing you know a lot more than I. But I asked about being stuck with proprietary parts with the Rovals and was told they are all rebranded DT Swiss. So no issues with that unless you go the 142+ route. And the Roval warranty is for life?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Based on your screen name, I'm guessing you know a lot more than I. But I asked about being stuck with proprietary parts with the Rovals and was told they are all rebranded DT Swiss. So no issues with that unless you go the 142+ route. And the Roval warranty is for life?
    I don't understand what specialized means when they say "240 hubs"
    The set of control sls I played with had 54ish point of engagement bone stock. Dt240s have 24 poe stock.

Maybe they have dt240 STYLE internals. I.e. star ratchet etc

Mr zen may know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Don't mess with them knockoffs.
    Knockoffs? They're carbon rims, just made by a different manufacturer. They're copies as much as any other rims are these days compared to the original.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBarnaby View Post
    Knockoffs? They're carbon rims, just made by a different manufacturer. They're copies as much as any other rims are these days compared to the original.
    Anything not made in North America is a knockoff as everything was invented / made better here

OP - It cant hurt to haggle. Worst case is they say no and you just pay MSRP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Anything not made in North America is a knockoff as everything was invented / made better here
    Ah, now I understand.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I don't think this is the case. As mentioned, the internals of that wheelset are nothing like the DTs.

And I checked, they only have a 2 year warranty.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I don't think this is the case. As mentioned, the internals of that wheelset are nothing like the DTs.

And I checked, they only have a 2 year warranty.

This is directly off Specializeds site.

Rear Hub: CNC machined alloy body, high-quality DT 240 internals with ratchet system cassette, 135/142 end cap options included
    Bearing Type: sealed cartridge
    QR: Roval Ti
    Assembly Method: hand-built
    Total Wheelset Weight: 1,450g
    Rider Weight Limit: 240lb (108kg)
    Limited Lifetime Warranty
    Rim Type: clincher, tubeless ready

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I have actually considered them heavily.
    So much that I had trouble deciding in the past, and still do.

The team I race for gets enve/ king stuff at cost.

The only concerns I have are the 100g weight penalty of the enve/king wheels. In that case, I could use DT240s or 180s, but I am stuck with 36 POE.

I guess I could shop around and find some light reliable race hubs with >50 POE. Zen, do you have any suggestions?
    Wait for the new Alchemy MTB hubs to come out. I'm sure they will have massively wide flange spacing like their road lineup, and (this is pure speculation) but I'm willing to bet POE will be high too.

Don't go 180s though. Such a waste of money. Even the 240s are a bit overpriced for my tastes.

Regardless though, I think the Enves are worth the added weight penalty. Carbon will yield a significantly better ride quality than alloy and the 5 year warranty is hard to argue with too.

All in all, don't get too caught up in weight or POE. Durability is paramount to anything else.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Wait for the new Alchemy MTB hubs to come out. I'm sure they will have massively wide flange spacing like their road lineup, and (this is pure speculation) but I'm willing to bet POE will be high too.

Don't go 180s though. Such a waste of money. Even the 240s are a bit overpriced for my tastes.

Regardless though, I think the Enves are worth the added weight penalty. Carbon will yield a significantly better ride quality than alloy and the 5 year warranty is hard to argue with too.

All in all, don't get too caught up in weight or POE. Durability is paramount to anything else.
    How do you think those enves will work with a 2.35 or a 2.4 up front at 20psi?

I race rigid, so I need some cush.

Squirmy tires are my biggest concern with the enves.

mtbr member

I think you'd want the AM rims, especially if you corner aggressively. Only 55g more for a much wider rim.

I know you get Kings at cost, but 36 pt 240's should be fine for racing. I opted for E*thirteen XCX+ hubs- very affordable and 60 pts of engagement.

BTW, if you want to go 650B, my wheelset is for sale (paid ad).
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Custom Wheelbuilder

I run a 2.5 up front on my AMs. Depending on the terrain, I will drop into the low 20s with no issues.

Squirmy tires is a tire pressure/selection issue, not one of the rim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast