mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Paul Components vs. True Precision hubs?

Hi,

I'm 41. I race off-road triathlon (Xterra) races and train on cross-country trails. I weigh around 180 lbs and am, unfortunately, not graceful on the trails.

I'm looking at a couple of new wheel builds. I'll be using Velocity P35 29er rims and Sapim CX Ray spokes on one build and Velocity Blunt SL 29er rims and CX Ray spokes on the other build. Both will use the same rotors.

I'd like to use some good quality hubs with both sets of wheels. I'd like for the hubs to be identical on both sets to make swapping wheels a little easier.

Here's my criteria (in order of importance):

- They have to be hubs my local wheelbuilder can get
    - Available in black
    - US made
    - They have to be able to handle a lot of wet conditions (I live in the Pacific Northwest)
    - Durable
    - Easy to maintain
    - Light weight
    - Reasonably priced

I've ruled out a few: White Industries, Chris King, Phil Wood, Industry 9, Profile Racing, Wheels Manufacturing, and Hadley.

The White Industries, King, and Phil hubs have been ruled out because I use them on other builds (fixed gear, cyclo-cross) and, if possible, I'd really like to try some different manufacturers' hubs with each bike I have. The I9 hubs have been ruled out because I've had a host of problems with the internals. The company has been great to work with; however, the hubs have proven to be more of a nuisance than they're worth. The Profile Racing hubs just don't do much for me for the price. Wheels Manufacturing are out of theirs, plus, they aren't available in black. My local builder can't get Hadleys.

I've narrowed it down to True Precision and Paul's. I've got a weird loyalty to Paul Price, and try and buy as much of his stuff as I can; however, given that the internals of his geared hubs are I9's, I worry that I'd need to stockpile a small warehouse of their propietary parts in order to keep them adequately maintained. The True Precision seem like a nice alternative; they get great reviews on this Web site, and I've not heard anything bad about the company.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was gonna suggest DT Swiss til I saw you wanted US made only.. They easily fulfill your other requirements...

~ B A D A S S ~
    I have TPs and while i have not managed to build a wheel yet they are extremely well machined, no shortcuts, anodizing is extremely good, surface quality extremely good, and the internals are like 1 moving part, a one way bearing. They are far from light though, like 500grams in the rear, but as always, heavy=good. Stainless steel freehub. The mechanisms simplicity is like 4,7 lightyears ahead of everything else on the market imo.

I have full confidence in these hubs, If I was getting another brand it would be WI, and then SLXes, Hadley, then CK. Then nothing, and never ever I9 or DT. Because those seems like cheap crap. I have never tried any of them though, but I can read and look at pics and thats enough for me to rule them out.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I have full confidence in these hubs, If I was getting another brand it would be WI, and then SLXes, Hadley, then CK. Then nothing, and never ever I9 or DT. Because those seems like cheap crap. I have never tried any of them though, but I can read and look at pics and thats enough for me to rule them out.
    Love that the SLX hubs are mentioned in the same sentence as CK and WI hubs. Have them on a few bikes and cant be beat bang for the buck, I'm a clyde who is hard on gear and cant kill them, not for lack of trying.

Whats wrong with the Profile hubs? I've got a few friends with them and they're on par with Kings or Hadleys as far as quality goes. Almost instant engagement, really lightweight, great sound and colors on the superficial side of things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Paul uses Industry Nine freehub mechanisms in their hubs. If you are ruling out I9 because of durability problems (which from my experience you are wise to do) then it would only make sense to rule out Paul as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    American made solid quality I would go with Hadley. My typical go to is the Pro II but you demand American. I am a huge fan of profile cranks but being a wheel builder by trade the only thing that has put me off concerning Profile is that the used to use SAE axle bolts. Things may have changed a bit over there in the past 3 years but one thing rings true....the metric rules in the bicycle industry. My SAE wrenches are all what I consider collectors items. They do not work on my car or bicycles= antiques/obsolete.

Trail Prospector
    Why not order a set of black Hadley's, and ship them to your wheelbuilder?
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

I have thousands of miles on my Paul's

My wheelbuilder suggested I get new hubs to pair with my Rabbit Holes. Then when spinning my 7-year-old Pauls he could not believe how smooth they were. I have never touched or serviced them and roll like new.

Attachment 808542