mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Patch kits for UST tires

I'm interested in hearing from people who have used the various patch kits for UST tires - I know Panaracer and Hutchison have them. I read a comment from someone that you did not have take the tire off the rim to use the Panaracer patch kit -- is this right? If so, that's a great convenience on the trail.

Thanks in advance.

Bodhisattva

Don't know about that...

but UST tires can be patched easily with conventional patches & glue. However, it does require removal of the bead. I doubt any kit that doesn't require repair from the inside would hold.

Here's what I do:
    Get a bottle of brake cleaner from an auto parts store. Spray it on a rag and wipe the area around the defect from the inside of the tire until the rubber becomes glossy black. blow with a hair dryer for one minute and repeat. Then apply standard patch cement and blow until dry. Apply patch and voila...you're patched. Tire is good as new.
    Life....the original terminal illness

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall88
    I'm interested in hearing from people who have used the various patch kits for UST tires - I know Panaracer and Hutchison have them. I read a comment from someone that you did not have take the tire off the rim to use the Panaracer patch kit -- is this right? If so, that's a great convenience on the trail.

Thanks in advance.

I ride tubeless both XC and DH and I've tried different patch kits, including standard tube patches. The best I've found are radial tire patch kits you buy at automotive stores. They're thicker and can patch larger gashes than a standard patch, while being more resistant to tearing.