Panaracer Trailblaster 1.8's.....

Does or has anyone run them, and what do y'all think ??? At an alleged 400 g each, might they make a good race tire ? Have been very satisfied with other Pana's in the past, just wonderin' 'bout them, as I never seem to see much of anything about them. They are light, but are they just too narrow to be any good ??? I checked the reviews here at mtbr, and they were mostly about the 2.1's , which seems to have a completely different tread pattern than the 1.8's (for better or worse, who knows...) Thanx, all.

- Fuelish
    Last edited by Fuelish; 07-01-2004 at 10:26 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a set here I have yet to put on my bike, as soon as my new rim comes I'm planning on putting them on.

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    Does or has anyone run them, and what do y'all think ??? At an alleged 400 g each, might they make a good race tire ? Have been very satisfied with other Pana's in the past, just wonderin' 'bout them, as I never seem to see much of anything about them. They are light, but are they just too narrow to be any good ??? I checked the reviews here at mtbr, and they were mostly about the 2.1's , which seems to have a completely different tread pattern than the 1.8's (for better or worse, who knows...) Thanx, all.

- Fuelish
    I have 2.1's & 1.95's and they are my favorites of the tires I've tried so far. That's not saying much, I've only tried Roll-x,Bontrager,FireXc's and Mosquito's. I have a friend with 1.80's and he likes them but we both feel the 1.95 is the sweet spot in sizes for these tires. He says the 1.80's seem a little small and don't have the bite of the others. We have a lot of mud around here this year (VA) and they are great in mud. Personally I'd go with the 1.95's, they are a great all around tire for those of us in places where we occasionally ride in the mud.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Not 400 grams; not 1.8

Just a word of warning. I have some of these tires. Four in fact. Each one came in around 435 grams and each one is more like a 1.6 or 1.65 not 1.8. Less tread, more filling. Or something like that.

In the end, I think these tires are way too narrow for most riding though may be appropriate for long dirt road type riding.

my two cents