mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Panaracer Smoke Classic

What do you think of this tire? I ride on rocky/rooty eastcoast singletrack. My Specialized Resolution rear tire has been shredded and I need a new rear tire. I want a lot of grip to get up hills, but need something with sidewalls which can withstand the rocks. I know the Smoke is an oldie but goody, but I've never used Panaracers. If not the Smoke, what else is a low cost, solid performer? Thanks for your help, Andy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    its TINY. low volume, small section width.. besides that its a decent tire. fast, decent traction. i got rid of my smoke/dart combo because they were just too tiny.

how about IRC mythos?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    its TINY. low volume, small section width.. besides that its a decent tire. fast, decent traction. i got rid of my smoke/dart combo because they were just too tiny.

how about IRC mythos?
    Price point has a 2pk of IRC Mythos for $25.00!

As for the Smoke, I have been happy with the Smoke/Dart combo on my '96 Stumpy M2 Comp, though at times seemed a little slow,(Though it may be the fact I don't get to ride much, and when I did, my buddies were on F.S. bikes and I was lagging a bit)

I also have the Mythos XC F/R combo. Mostly used around town, but when ridden on the trail seemed to be as good of traction as the Smoke/Dart combo. The one thing I never did was play with the psi in the Smoke/Dart.

I am currently trying to decide what tires to run on my newly acquired Epic. First time I've used low profile tires. They seem ok so far though.

Good luck deciding!
    Chris

Singletrack Snob
    I liked these tires for midwest rooty riding. They're cheap enough, give them a shot. I think I bought mine for under $40 for the pair a few years ago.
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto

how about IRC mythos?
    Tiny? It comes in a 2.1 width which, for me, is plenty wide.

I wouldn't run the Smoke on the front (go with the Dart). It feels like it wants to keep tracking straight into the turn. The Smoke has a squarish profile.

I use the Mythos on my 29er. They are OK tires but the rear has a low lug height so they don't do too well in loose soil and it wears out quicker.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Tiny in casing though. So you end up needing a lot more air pressure to support your load, and thus they don't absorb impacts as well. Instead of rolling over roots like you would with a Nevegal, you bounce off them.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP.
    What do you think of this tire? I ride on rocky/rooty eastcoast singletrack. My Specialized Resolution rear tire has been shredded and I need a new rear tire. I want a lot of grip to get up hills, but need something with sidewalls which can withstand the rocks. I know the Smoke is an oldie but goody, but I've never used Panaracers. If not the Smoke, what else is a low cost, solid performer? Thanks for your help, Andy
    IRC Trailbears may be your ticket.

No good in rock gardens..
    Pricepoint also list the 2.25 IRC Mibro for $19.98 - great trail tyre!
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

renaissance cyclist
    My bike came with WTB Motoraptors. Theyíre a little heavy, and they have a lot of rolling resistance. Iím not quite sure why they put them on an XC bike, but Iíve never used a tire that got such great traction in most every conditon I could throw at them, even snow. I still use them in the winter and early spring when conditions are sloppy. I think I saw them on Jenson and/or outside outfitters for around $20.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    Tiny? It comes in a 2.1 width which, for me, is plenty wide.
    i only run 2.1's. its all i need. smoke/darts in 2.1 arent 2.1, they're tiny.

its more like a 1.8.