mtbr member

Panaracer Razer XC

Has anyone had any experience with the Panaracer Razer XC tires. I am looking for a good race tire for the hardpack conditions here in Northern California. Also are they true to their advertised size or are they smaller in volume?

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jski1911
    Has anyone had any experience with the Panaracer Razer XC tires. I am looking for a good race tire for the hardpack conditions here in Northern California. Also are they true to their advertised size or are they smaller in volume?
    I've used the Razer 2.1 up front for dry/hardpack and found it to be an excellent tire. I would say it measures on the small side, but not by much. Weight was 467g.

On one occasion this tire blew off the rim - but I'm not sure that it was a fault in the tire . It may have been the result of a loose nut on the handlebar .

I tried it in an area with lots of sand and loose stuff and the tire was predictably - bad...

If you stick to hardpack, I found the tire works great!

Good luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member

Thanks Airman

Thanks Airman!
    I'm thinking of running the 2.3 up front and the 2.1 in the back, which is why I am interested in the actual size. A little extra rubber on tha ground up front i'm guessing will give me a little extra grip with a very small penalty if any in rolling resistance.

some kind of hero...
    Thanks Airman!
    I'm thinking of running the 2.3 up front and the 2.1 in the back, which is why I am interested in the actual size. A little extra rubber on tha ground up front i'm guessing will give me a little extra grip with a very small penalty if any in rolling resistance.
    That sounds like a good fast combo. I haven't seen a 2.3 but I'm guessing it will be on the small side as well...

If you get the Razers, post your impressions...

Good Luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member

Happy with the Panaracer Razers

Quote Originally Posted by airman
    That sounds like a good fast combo. I haven't seen a 2.3 but I'm guessing it will be on the small side as well...

If you get the Razers, post your impressions...

Good Luck
    I went ahead and ordered the MX Razer 2.3 and the XC Razer 2.1. The difference between them is the MX 2.3 has a deeper tread than the XC, but with the same tread pattern and sticky rubber compound. Panaracer's website states that the MX 2.3 is intended for freeride use in hardpack conditons.
    I took a look at them and thought about sending them back, thinking that the tread was just too short to give good traction at speed and in technical situations. After a week I decided to go ahead and mount them, I set the pressure at 30f and 32r The next day after work I rode out to my local trail which has all types of terrrain. I rode tentativley at first but my confidence grew in these tires with every new surface I came across. There is one section that is a steep climb that has field of broken sharp exposed rock for about 20 feet long that always gives me trouble. I was able to roll right though it without even a slight slip or spin out, i was amazed at how well these tires hooked up. The only trouble I had was in a section where the trail had powdered to a couple of inches. Which is where I expected to have problems.
    I decide to race with these tires at the Howell Mt, Classic last Sunday and again they came through with flying colors. They hooked up on all the different trail conditions, whether I was going up or down, I did take it easy on a couple of switchbacks that had broken down from all the race traffic but elsewhere I confidently rode the tires as fast as I could. I really like how they ride so I am leaving them on for the rest of the dry season. How long they last remains to be seen but for now I have to give these puppies a great big thumbs up.

some kind of hero...
    I went ahead and ordered the MX Razer 2.3 and the XC Razer 2.1. The difference between them is the MX 2.3 has a deeper tread than the XC, but with the same tread pattern and sticky rubber compound. Panaracer's website states that the MX 2.3 is intended for freeride use in hardpack conditons.
    I took a look at them and thought about sending them back, thinking that the tread was just too short to give good traction at speed and in technical situations. After a week I decided to go ahead and mount them, I set the pressure at 30f and 32r The next day after work I rode out to my local trail which has all types of terrrain. I rode tentativley at first but my confidence grew in these tires with every new surface I came across. There is one section that is a steep climb that has field of broken sharp exposed rock for about 20 feet long that always gives me trouble. I was able to roll right though it without even a slight slip or spin out, i was amazed at how well these tires hooked up. The only trouble I had was in a section where the trail had powdered to a couple of inches. Which is where I expected to have problems.
    I decide to race with these tires at the Howell Mt, Classic last Sunday and again they came through with flying colors. They hooked up on all the different trail conditions, whether I was going up or down, I did take it easy on a couple of switchbacks that had broken down from all the race traffic but elsewhere I confidently rode the tires as fast as I could. I really like how they ride so I am leaving them on for the rest of the dry season. How long they last remains to be seen but for now I have to give these puppies a great big thumbs up.
    That's great news ...

I've not seen a 2.3 - how true to size is it? The listed weight makes me think it's small for a 2.3...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member

2.3 Razer Size

Quote Originally Posted by airman
    That's great news ...

I've not seen a 2.3 - how true to size is it? The listed weight makes me think it's small for a 2.3...

Cheers
    The 2.3 actually looked very close in size to my 2.1 Fire XC Pros that I replaced. According to Panaracer the 2.3 Razer is 60 grams lighter on average than the 2.1 Pros. Cheers!